CDJ with Traktor Issues
    Tech Mentor

Default CDJ with Traktor Issues

Alright so ive really been struggling with my latest purchase. Previously ive been running my vci-100 on traktor 2.

I now have a cdj-350 and a cdj-400 and a vci-100. I want to use the vci-100 as my internal mixer and assign the cdj's to decks A&B.

I also have an NI Audio 2 soundcard which i am at a loss of how to use now that ive added the CDJ's to the setup.

I believe all my issues are stemming from my audio settings. I did the soundcard aggregator for the cdj's and i also imported the .tsi mapping for the cdj-350. The firmwares are all updated and i should be ready to go.

I have attempted to put all the settings in place and once i go to give everything a try, i have gotten no data transporting to or from the cdj's and basically no functionality from the vci-100 (traktor is noticing the vci attempting to transport data while this is not the case with the cdj's).

Can someone with a similar setup please provide me with some input on how my audio/input/output settings should look like (screenshots would be even better). Any help is much appreciated. And yes i did search quite a bit but im getting to that point of being super anxious and frustrated....never a good combo. Thanks in advance.

On a side note....i have a xone 42 that should be delivering tomorrow so this will soon become my external mixer instead of the VCI....so my main focus is getting these cdj's functioning on decks A&B.
    Last edited by csmith5888; 12-15-2011 at 08:03 PM.
    | 13" MBP (mid 2010) | Traktor Pro 2.0.3 | Audio 8DJ | Kontrol X1 | Akai LPD8 | 2 x CDJ-400 | Allen & Heath Xone 42 | AIAIAI TMA-1 | 2xRokit KRK 6SE WHITE |

Tech Guru

I would venture a guess that it't the VCI causing the problems. Most traditional setups would be to have CDJs run though the line in on the Sound Card and have the two line outs run to the mixer. This allows Traktor to recognize the Timecode signal and interpret it to a digital signal controlling Traktor. Traktor then send a digital signal to the sound card that converts it to analog and sends it to the mixer where you would use the mixer like a traditional external mixer.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2, 2X Stanton STR8-80, 2X Denon DN-S700, Akai APC40 + APC20, DDM4000, KRKRokit 8, HD25-II, iPad (Touch OSC)

Tech Mentor

Bartboy: Im running traktor 2 not the scratch edition because i dont have time codes....

Just a little update though. I just managed to get the CDJ-400 up and running with the .tsi mapping that comes with traktor. I did not attempt running the cdj-350 aggregated with it yet or the vci as the internal mixer....just dont have the time tonight and probably wont have the time until around sunday unfortunately. Still any insight is appreciated until then. Will keep updates each time i make attempts.
    | 13" MBP (mid 2010) | Traktor Pro 2.0.3 | Audio 8DJ | Kontrol X1 | Akai LPD8 | 2 x CDJ-400 | Allen & Heath Xone 42 | AIAIAI TMA-1 | 2xRokit KRK 6SE WHITE |

Wait how are you trying to set up the CDJs to control Traktor? Are you trying to set them up as HID/MIDI controllers?

I don't think the 350 has HID support in traktor yet. You could set up MIDI to work and there is a map floating around for it. Googling cdj-350 with traktor just has requests on NI forum for them to add HID support but this video shows MIDI working: [ame="http://vimeo.com/15638034"]cdj 350 on traktor pro !!! on Vimeo[/ame]

There would be no need to set up or aggregate soundcards and route audio if you were trying to use the CDJs as controllers for traktor since they would just be controllers as if you were connecting any USB midi controller. You would then only be routing the master/headphone out if you were using a VCI.

When the xone comes if you want to run traktor with them then you would still not be routing audio out of the CDJs except the audio coming out of traktor if you wanted to use the cdj soundcards. Basically they would just be used as soundcards but the audio would be coming from traktor not anything off the cdj if that makes any sense.

I would just try mixing off flash drives though if I were you since the setup with traktor seems like a hassle and NI hasn't added real HID support for the 350 yet. Plus you will discover the joys of mixing without a laptop.

Tech Wizard

I have my 2 cdj-2000's set up as an aggregate sound card, otherwise both CDJ's weren't putting out any sound. Well they were sort of.... I followed a youtube video initially but used the Pioneer aggregator instead of the MAC built in one/.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAcSXuZeeWw

that was my starting point. I want to get my DJM-2000 aggregated in there too, but each time I do it messes with my control and no audio at all...
    Current gear PIC- Pioneer DJM-2000 2 x CDJ-2000's HDJ-2000 Rekordbox Stanton Überstand ZOMO case Powersquid Calamari Gigaware Squid hub Ableton Traktor Scratch Pro 2 MixedInKey TuneUp MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 512 GB SSD
    Gear in limbo -> Serato Video SL The Bridge Rane SL4

Tech Mentor

Xonetacular: I think i am a little confused as to what the difference between HID vs. Midi control. Im going to definitely have to read into this more. But yes, when i was loading the cdj-350 mapping in the controller settings, it comes up as 'generic midi'. When i load up each mapping, do i set the 'device target' to 'focus' or the corresponding deck i want each cdj to control??

And on the topic of using it with just the xone and no laptop...I 100% am going to go ahead with that route as soon as i get the mixer. I have to say i really love traktor and it has been like my personal teacher since ive started dj'ing. It was just so helpful in getting me to see why things make sense and then being able make sense of what i saw and then using just the audio. I already find myself looking less and less at the laptop so hopefully soon i wont need it at all.

Skygear: Thanks for that link. I am going to try and run the aggregator again with the cdj's and perhaps the xone 42 once it gets here. I will let you know if i find any luck there. And if you feel like you want to change up the look of ur setup with a cdj-400 id gladly trade for one ur 2000's. Just throwin it out there.

Tech Wizard

HAHAHA- I like to walk foreword. ;^)
    Current gear PIC- Pioneer DJM-2000 2 x CDJ-2000's HDJ-2000 Rekordbox Stanton Überstand ZOMO case Powersquid Calamari Gigaware Squid hub Ableton Traktor Scratch Pro 2 MixedInKey TuneUp MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 512 GB SSD
    Gear in limbo -> Serato Video SL The Bridge Rane SL4