Not sure how to do NYE countdown..Ideas?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Not sure how to do NYE countdown..Ideas?

My time slot for NYE got bumped to 1030-1am. which means i will be doing the countdown.

top 40, hip hop, electro crowd...

any ideas for the countdown would be helpful

what have you done in the past?

thx

"Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Tech Wizard

i Normally stop the music and get on the mic for the last 10sec....
    Current gear PIC- Pioneer DJM-2000 2 x CDJ-2000's HDJ-2000 Rekordbox Stanton Überstand ZOMO case Powersquid Calamari Gigaware Squid hub Ableton Traktor Scratch Pro 2 MixedInKey TuneUp MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 512 GB SSD
    Gear in limbo -> Serato Video SL The Bridge Rane SL4

Tech Mentor

I normally knock something up in Ableton which is about 30 seconds of ambient music at quite a low level and use the mic to hype the crowd up, then it goes silent for a few seconds then a countdown begins at full volume with me using the mic aswell. Big Ben kicks in with firework samples etc and Auld Lang Syne comes in.

A few more words from me usually a huge classic anthem follows then 10 to 15 mins of a premixed quick mixed mash up so I can get a few mins with the misses, friends, champagne and shots

I always have the full thing on 2 CDs aswell, after i drop the first I quickly stick the second in and match them up ready to switch if needed as I had a hairy situation a few year ago where the countdown skipped, luckily just for a second or 2
    Last edited by Jeff Scott; 12-16-2011 at 05:12 AM.

What about a little edit of Countdown by Beyonce? You said it was a top 40 crowd so they should all know it. Could maybe just use the 'countdown' bit then drop into something else?
    Mixes: www.mixcloud.com/djalexwild/
    Production: www.soundcloud.com/alexwild
    DJM500 : X1 : MBP 15" 2.53 GHz 4 GB RAM : HD25SP : MASCHINE

I would start when you go own and announce time left every half hour. Have the crowd make cheer/make noise etc.

If your club/bar has a complimentary toast, I would announce 5mins before for them to get their champagne. Then announce 1 minute before. Also loop an instrumental beat. Start count down at 15, not at 10 cause it takes a while for drunks to figure out the countdown has started LOL Just yell Happy New Year after the countdown and play Aulde Lang Syne. After that is done, go back to the jams.
    1 Denon DNX1600, 2 Technics SL1200MKII, 1 Pioneer DDJ SX, 1 Reloop Terminal Mix2, 1 MBP running VDJ/Traktor/Serato SL/DJ
    Soundcloud
    Vimeo
    Facebook

If you do videos, Crooklynclan.net will typically post countdown videos a few day prior to New Years Eve.
    1 Denon DNX1600, 2 Technics SL1200MKII, 1 Pioneer DDJ SX, 1 Reloop Terminal Mix2, 1 MBP running VDJ/Traktor/Serato SL/DJ
    Soundcloud
    Vimeo
    Facebook

Thanks for everyones input, alot of good info here

Tech Wizard

I'm dropping that Skrillex "Levels" remix right after the ball drops on some ignorant ish...people will go bananas

Tech Wizard

I play a remix of the Final Countdown by Europe. You have to time it right (or just hot cue it in) so that the line "Its the final countdown" comes right before the 10 second countdown.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast