Going from CDJ1000mk3s to S2/DX/DDJ-s1
    Tech Wizard

Default Going from CDJ1000mk3s to S2/DX/DDJ-s1

I've been djing for years and I've gone from Techs and vinyl to Techs and Serato and now I'm currently using two CDJ1000mk3s and a Rane Empath mixer. I primarily do internet radio (weekly) with a monthly gig here in there.

My dilemma is this: I am tired of burning and tracklisting cds. I have to burn them as audio since mp3 discs load slow on CDJs and mp3 discs have to be duplicated (since there are so many tracks on them) so I can use tracks on cdj 1 on cdj 2.

What I want to avoid: using my laptop while djing... I hate using my single laptop for broadcasting, chatting in the chatroom, Serato, aim, etc.. it gets crowded very quickly. (I only have one computer - a Macbook Pro 17" + an iPad)

What I want to resolve: stop burning cds.

At what cost? I want to spend less than 1,200 US.

My ideal situation would be this: something like Serato but for an iPad (not gonna happen anytime soon).

A more realistic solution: buying Serato and using it with my CDJs and laptop; even though it's not ideal. Only thing that I don't like about that is using my laptop for everything.

What I want to get more info on: the midi controllers mentioned - S2/DX/DDJ-S1 because it would consolidate my physical set-up instead of adding more stuff (like an SL1) but I'm afraid that it'll take away some of the things I love, for example, I LOVE my CDJ 1000mk3 platter feel.

Any advice for me? I'm currently taking a wait and see approach until NAMM 2012 no matter what. Who knows maybe my iPad Serato app will become a reality.

Tech Mentor

well you could sell your 1000s add the 1k$ and get 900s/850s, not sure if the cash is enough but might be?
    Xone 42, X1, Audio 8, Maschine mikro

Tech Mentor

or you could get CDJ's that can use USB sticks and or SD cards

Tech Wizard

yeah, that's an option but it comes with work - selling cdjs and getting them sold for the right amount. i paid $2,300 for them new and i really really like them still. It's hard taking a 1K hit and buying new gear that'll depreciate just like the 1000s.
    Last edited by blueprint; 12-16-2011 at 04:27 PM.

You could look for a cheap pair of used 400s, or a pair of 350s maybe. They both use USB and a pair would be close to 1k. The platter feel is different than the higher end CDJs though.

Tech Wizard

After reading all your replies I think the best solution would be to get a DVS because ultimately the midi controllers don't have the platter that I have come to grow fond of. If that means using my resources on the laptop simultaneously, so be it.

I really don't want to sell my cdjs because they are in PERFECT condition and run beautifully. It'd be like cheating on the wife that's been loyal to me, maybe giving her a facelift would be like getting a dvs, who knows. lol

Anyone selling Serato or Traktor Scratch, hit me up via pm.

Quote Originally Posted by blueprint View Post
    yeah, that's an option but it comes with work - selling cdjs and getting them sold for the right amount. i paid $2,300 for them new and i really really like them still. It's hard taking a 1K hit and buying new gear that'll depreciate just like the 1000s.
    If you sell them let me know

I got 1000 bucks sitting in my PayPal ready to push send on for you
    Cheers!
    | 13" rMBP | KORG ZERO4 | NOVATION TWITCH | 2 X CDJ-200 | KONTROL X1 |

Tech Wizard

not selling them in fact just bought traktor scratch duo 2 to use with timecode cds.
    Twitter
    Soundcloud
    Beatport Tunes
    EOB | In Da Jungle Rec. | IQ Ent. | Plush Rec. | Point 9 Audio | Rotation Deep | Section 8 | SubDepth | UnitOvOne