Tonearm height adjustment issue - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I'm doing it the old school way. Of course, the tonearm has to be flat and I do that by eye. Then I apply the manufacturers recommended weight and play around that afterwards using my ears.

I try the limits of adding and substracting weight until I can detect distortion then do the math and set the weight to the exact middle of these two extremes, and always end up very near the manufacturers recommendations. I used to service old school exotic hifi turntables with little cables and fancy weights on them, so calibrating a technics feels like a piece of cake.

and then adjust the tonearm height to your own preference.
    no not quite. It has to be perfectly level so the needle does not attack the record at an angle, thus increasing tear and wear for both the needle and the record but also decreasing skipping resistance simply because the needle is not sitting properly in the groove. The weight is here to do the rest, though I have seen a few scratch DJs glueing pennies or putting blu-tack on the cartridges.

Try setting up one of these,

then going back on calibrating a 1200 never felt so easy....
    Last edited by Manu; 12-21-2011 at 05:10 AM.

What carts are you using?

On all of mine, m-44g on Stanton headshells seemed to work just fine. Shure Whitelabels also kind of just worked.

Especially if you're using a budget cart, I might just replace that. Otherwise, make sure your tonearm isn't bent (other than the way it's supposed to be, of course) and replace it if it is.

I've been doing it my way for 10+ years. It took a lot of trial and error to get it right...

Cartridge manufacturers recommendations are based on normal use of their equipment. Scratching is NOT normal use...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

It is for a DJ cartridge.

For you guys with Shure M477s - what are you setting your weights to for scratching?
    Beats By Dre is like audio flu for your balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Cartridge manufacturers recommendations are based on normal use of their equipment. Scratching is NOT normal use...
    Not quite. DJ needles are a lot tougher than regular hifi needles. Use a regular needle for DJing and I can safely predict that you will break it within a week, if that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12