Best way to go from monitors to laptop

Default Best way to go from monitors to laptop

I'm using two KRK rokit RPG 6's and I wanna go directly into my laptop's headphone jack. Today I got a 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch cable and a 1/8 inch splitter for the headphone jack. Using that combination -worked- but for some reason the speakers played at a very small fraction of what they're capable of. Is there a better way I should do this?

By the way, these rokit monitors each have an RCA(unbalanced) 1/4 inch (balanced), and XLR input (balanced)

you can use 1 RCA(phono) from each speaker to a hub which takes in 2 rca and got a 3.5mm in the other end. This hub usually cost like 2 dollars perhaps.
    This wont get you the best quality since its your computors soundcard but atleast you will have sound.

Tech Wizard

don't you have a HF DB boost knob and a volume on the back...
    Current gear PIC- Pioneer DJM-2000 2 x CDJ-2000's HDJ-2000 Rekordbox Stanton Überstand ZOMO case Powersquid Calamari Gigaware Squid hub Ableton Traktor Scratch Pro 2 MixedInKey TuneUp MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 512 GB SSD
    Gear in limbo -> Serato Video SL The Bridge Rane SL4

Yes, there is a volume knob on the back but even cranked to full it's quiet as a mouse

Quote Originally Posted by KryticalH!T View Post
    Yes, there is a volume knob on the back but even cranked to full it's quiet as a mouse
    You are splitting the signal into half the strength due to a dual stereo splitter. Plus, you always get cleaner punchier sound with a quality external sound card, an Audio 2 would make a nice alternative to direct out.
    Traktor Pro, Kontrol X1, Audio Kontrol 1, iPad running TouchOSC, Maschine, Macbook Pro.

Using Traktor since it was "Traktor DJ Studio 2"

pleasurewavemusic.com