Need an Ableton Controller (thinking of Twitch and dual X1)
    Tech Wizard

Default Need help on choosing Ableton Controller

Hi I'm new to the forum but have been reading DJTT for a while now
    I am currently interested in DJing and tried Traktor but wasn't really satisfied. Then I tried Ableton which got me pretty serious and I want to get a controller for it. I am thinking of the Novation Twitch as the main controller because novation made it easy for Ableton users to have twitch as a controller using the Live Twitch Translator program. I am also interested using two X1s for FX controller and possibly clip controller.

Not really intersted in APC40/Launchpad style contorller that has too many grids because I know i won't be using that many channels live.

Any opinion on this setup? if it is good I might get it.
    Another question for those who have twitch, is are the knobs on the top right (controlling cue/master) midi mappable or not?

*EDIT
    - Anyone has a Behringer DDM-4000? because I am also interested in this mixer instead of the Twitch because I might not be using a lot of twitch features in Live.
    Last edited by B4YU; 12-18-2011 at 05:21 AM. Reason: generalise thread topic

Tech Wizard

VCM-600 user EMZZ has one forsale and it is worth every penny.. Loving mine, went from traktor to ableton and so far have not even thought about going back.. (maybe at home playing with my Technics for vinyl fun but that is about all the use traktor will get now..
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2, Ableton Live 8, Vestax VCM-600, Technics 1210 MK5 (2), Audio8DJ, Vintage Urei 1620 Rotary Mixer, Bozak CMA-10-2DL Custom Mixer, Kontrol X1 (2), Pioneer EFX-500, Facebook www.DJJasonPaul.com

Tech Wizard

@JasonPaul - So what is ur Ableton Live setup? I see u've got 2 kontrol X1s which is what I am wondering what u mapped it to in ableton

*EDIT
    - the vcm-600 really does look good, I found a nice deal here for around $450 but then I won't be needing 6 channels (I know i can map them to soemthin else) and reviews said it is very heavy (around 10 pounds). I am still not so sure about it yet though
    - If i am getting the VCM, what soundcard should go with it? will NI Audio 2 do the job or no? I need a cheap but quality product
    Last edited by B4YU; 12-18-2011 at 05:24 AM. Reason: adding soemthin

Tech Wizard

I use the audio 8 since I have it and I can use a Mic with it and route a set of outputs to a EFX500 with a return.. Since I got the VCM600 I haven't used to KX1s much, I had them mapped for effects but the VCM600 has enough to do the job. The extra channels are always good to have, you can turn them into more sends or into efx returns etc.. etc.. etc.. The controller isn't heavy, I picked one up and said wtf, why do ppl complain about the weight. If I was you I would get at least a audio 4, it's much better then the audio 2 and get be found cheap on ebay at times.
    Last edited by JasonPaul; 12-18-2011 at 08:36 AM.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2, Ableton Live 8, Vestax VCM-600, Technics 1210 MK5 (2), Audio8DJ, Vintage Urei 1620 Rotary Mixer, Bozak CMA-10-2DL Custom Mixer, Kontrol X1 (2), Pioneer EFX-500, Facebook www.DJJasonPaul.com

Tech Wizard

Hmm I guess u r right after all. I'll try to get the vcm600 and either an audio 4 or 6. Oh and with audio4/6 will I be able to use EFX unit? I just think it will be a good addition for later on. If it isnt possible ill probably get an ipad running TouchOSC or Lemur n have it mapped to internal fx. If I had lots of cash I would have gone for the 4D though. Also thinking of the DDM4000 it doesnt seem worth it for my use cuz here I found it for $480 which is more than vcm and both needs soundcard.

So anyway thx for the suggestion bro, u managed to brainwash me lol
    *Inactive Account*

Tech Wizard

you would need a audio 6 to run master out, headphones and a efx send and return. Audio 4 would be good for master out and headphones. Did you contact EMZZ on here, he will give you a good deal. I wouldn't steer anyone the wrong way, Ableton is my new addiction and the VCM600 is a great DJ tool to use with it. Not sure why more ppl don't use it, it gives you all the DJ options you can need using ableton and still allows more more (plus the bank button allows you to control up to 12 tracks, 6 on each bank) hehehehe :eek:

Live is a drug and I am addicted, wish I made the switch years ago when I first used it in 04. Back then I was laughed at just like when I brought final scratch into a club in 01, they laughed.. Now digital DJing is the industry standard.. I wish I could find those NYC promoters who laughed and gave me hell for bringing a computer to a gig with my time code records and linux loaded sony viao, would love to get the last laugh..

Tech Wizard

I havent contacted EMZZ but I saw the thread already but I live in Indonesia and I found a guy with vcm and he's selling it for 450 which I think is already a good deal considering original vcm is around 700. The condition of it also look good he said he haven't used it yet and everything is complete in the box so yeah. As of the soundcard i will probably get the audio4 for now considering I'm new. I will probably map some fx on touchosc
    *Inactive Account*

Tech Wizard

I originally got my Twitch for DJing and later found out I could use it for Ableton Live. I've used Ableton Live a couple of times with the Twitch, but only after using the Automap application (which I have to say is quite convenient). Don't be fooled by interface, there's 32 button options per side (before any modifications) via the 4 Mode keys and the 8 Color-changeable buttons. Oh and you can get really inventive with the Touchstrips. If you're really not using that many buttons in Ableton and you're DJing you have among the best controllers in the world. Now all we have to do is wait for Itch to be Enabled for Bridge (since the Twitch comes with Itch).

Tech Mentor

Why not grab an APC40? It is a quality controller with a lot of documentation and info online, and a controller you can grow into most importantly. It's also considerably less than a VCM-600, so you'll have the extra money to spend on maybe an additional controller or an even nicer soundcard. You may not think you need the grid at first, but it grows on you. I started with a launchpad thinking it would be too much, then I got hooked and moved on to a monome with 128 buttons. I LOVE BUTTONS. But seriously, I would consider the APC40 if you're not already set on the VCM, it does most of what the VCM does and you'll have cash left over.

Edit: Doh' just realized this thread is old.. whatever it still applies
    mk128, maschine, oxygen25, firewire 410, ableton suite 8

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

I have an APC 40 and had thought about getting a VCM (difficult to come by here) - however!

I didn't realize the FX section are regular pots rather than encoders so takeover needed this is complete deal breaker for me encoders for fx are essential for fast fx switching. If you are in the mix you shouldn't need to start worrying about where the last location of the pot or fader was - plain silly at the price of one.

Pain in the ass really as my entire top 8 are taken up with EQ/Filter control which is a complete waste grrr... if the VCM had encoders up there it would be just about perfect for live DJ'ing.

Methinks my future see's K2's .. all the knobbies triggers and faders I'd need, soundcard built in .. and hella smaller package, actually could probably throw a vestax 06-pro in between and it'd still be smaller than the APC.

The new behringer kit also looks like it might be a winner .. choices choices.