Using digital dj gear with analogue (i.e turntables)
    Tech Wizard

Default Using digital dj gear with analogue (i.e turntables)

HI guys,

I'm thinking of joining the digital revolution however with traktor/ableton ideally i still want to keep my turntables, korg kp and pioneer efx for use with it.

I've been looking around and seen the soundbite micro which can convert a bpm to a midi signal for use on ableton, has anyone got experience of using this and do you think in practice it will work well synching turntables to ableton?

Thanks in advance!

Tech Wizard

I'm really interested in doing something like this too.

Quote Originally Posted by danrop View Post
    HI guys,

I'm thinking of joining the digital revolution however with traktor/ableton ideally i still want to keep my turntables, korg kp and pioneer efx for use with it.

I've been looking around and seen the soundbite micro which can convert a bpm to a midi signal for use on ableton, has anyone got experience of using this and do you think in practice it will work well synching turntables to ableton?

Thanks in advance!
    I personally do not see why not if you are that keen on still using your vinyl, i have not had any experience with the device but it looks pretty strait forward to me, you will just have a harder time keeping in time than using digital means.

Why not just use Traktor Skratch so you can go between digital and vinyl alot more seamlessly and still use your efx

Quote Originally Posted by darrel855 View Post
    Why not just use Traktor Skratch so you can go between digital and vinyl alot more seamlessly and still use your efx

thats the route i am going

Tech Wizard

Thanks i hadn't though of that, looks really good just thinking about the cost involved!

Tech Guru

i use ableton to trigger samples which are then loaded/layered onto my turntable via ammobox (time coded vinyl + reaktor).

http://www.djtechtools.com/2008/05/07/ammobox/

Its fukin sweet once u get it working, requires a bit of love but imo its well worth it.
    The advantage in this method is that the layered samples (ie drums or vocal loops) can be triggered by a midi loop in ableton so that even if they go out of time after one loop (how ever many bars you want) it will go back into sync again.

I love this method and for me is the perfect tradeoff between vinyl (which I love) and ableton (which is godlike).

I also use traditional vinyl and am considering buying mspinky (timecoded vinyl) to use as a VST plugin in ableton also.

i been thinking about ammobox ands stuff.
    I just bidded on some vestax pdx hopefully i get them, then I got to get a mixer, and tracktor 3 and I am well on my way with my analogue and computer set up