Track Selection
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Track Selection

Tech Convert

Default Track Selection

I have been experimenting with DJ'ing since Dec of 2010. I have a really successful mix on SoundCloud.com/djquant. I am working on a new mix, and as always, I have a difficult time really finding the perfect tracks to mix. I have search for threads regarding this topic (along with the web) and really haven't found the answers I am looking for.

If some people could check me out on soundcloud and give my mixes a listen and provide some feedback on them to tell me how I am doing in general. I would appreciate it. Aside from that if some people can chime in on how they select their tracks and how I can do a better job on finding tracks for my mixes I would greatly appreciate it! This is one area I really struggle in and advice is much needed!

Thanks!

Tech Mentor

Seriously? You have 6000 plays and your asking us for "feedback" on your track selection. I may be wrong here, but it seems like your just "plugging" your mix to gain more listens.

Tech Guru

if you have 6000 plays on soundcloud Im assuming youre doing something right...just checked it out and I think youre good

Tech Convert

Haha. No man. I am stuck on my latest mix. I can't get past my first four tracks and I am struggling with finding other tunes to complete an hour set. While I may have 6k plays on my first mix, I haven't really gotten a lot of feedback on how well I am doing. So, I am concerned about how well I am doing and why I am am having such a hard time completing my new mix.

This really is my main concern. But, you're right. I do have a pretty good response on my last mix. But, I can't seem to really get any actual feedback from actual DJ's. So, that makes me feel like I may not be doing something right.

Tech Mentor

What I do is listen to a tonnnnnnnnnn of music throughout the day (while driving, at the gym, free time, etc.) and eventually it all comes together. It's just a matter of knowing your music. After a while you recognize the style of the producer and can match it up with others that have the same style (i.e. Lazy Rich and Mord Fustang are pretty similar). Or if you hear a song with fat and dirty bass you might be able to match it up with a Dada Life song or something. I like to play EDM. Hip-hop is pretty simple to mix on the fly (for me). Other people have different methods though this is just what works for me so don't take my word for it...

Tech Convert

Thanks losxc451!

Tech Convert

Yeah, I have been listening for over a week to find more tracks for my new mix, stbanas925. I have listened to a TON of tracks and I feel like my new mix is stuck.

Tech Guru

As said before know your music and if youre having trouble picking (used to happen to me and Id end up with 20-30 minutes mixes always because of it) then Id recommend trying mixed in key or rapid evolution, I can mix in key by ear and I know what soudns right but using software to tell me what the key is really narrows down the options you have to choose from which really helps

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by djquant View Post
    Yeah, I have been listening for over a week to find more tracks for my new mix, stbanas925. I have listened to a TON of tracks and I feel like my new mix is stuck.
    well maybe thats your problem, youre listening to a TON of tracks. Remember its always good to narrow it down to a playlist of songs thatll be just more than enough to fit the time you wanna do (ex: assuming you play 15 tracks in 30 minutes get a playlist with 60-70 songs)

Tech Mentor

Freestyle some mixes first, gather the songs you thought went well together and try to develop a theme or themes throughout the final mix with the group of songs you thought went well together and develop the mix around that. Think in terms of bass, rhythm and groove, build tension and try to tell a story through your sound.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast