People who over-exaggerate and "flutter" or "flick" their hands while DJ'ing.
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default People who over-exaggerate and "flutter" or "flick" their hands while DJ'ing.

We've all seen it...I find It REALLY odd. After all, we're turning knobs and pushing faders. The throw of the faders isn't even that long and yet you see people with their hands flailing about.

Example:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTgkWtND-IE

-Right hand pushing buttons, left hand flailing about...Doing...Well, not a heck of a lot in the beginning but moving frantically nonetheless. At certain points the left hand isn't doing anything except (frantically) finding a place to rest.

(btw, not taking jabs at Ean or this site, which I happen to love very much, just couldn't think of another example or video at this time)

I've got a problem with the "Jesus pose" kind of flailing about, but other than that, I think it might just be a way to get "with the flow" of the music, kinda like nodding your head
    i´ll quote you in 5 years and we both will have a good laugh while we are at this awsome dj battle on mars trying to finally beat the damned 1000 armed alien squid "dj squid master". his routines are sick!

Tech Mentor

We are performers. We are performing.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

But more entertaining than just watching a guy carefully pushing faders and press buttons carefully and slowly ... I know when I get sucked into it my hands start pushing buttons and nudging imaginary faders and playing drums that most defiantly don't exist hehe.

At least he isn't wearing a big mouse mask

Quote Originally Posted by Cybertrash View Post
    I've got a problem with the "Jesus pose" kind of flailing about, but other than that, I think it might just be a way to get "with the flow" of the music, kinda like nodding your head
    Arms straight out and head back as if to be enjoying a totally euphoric moment?

Yeah I hate that too.

Quote Originally Posted by CryderSteez View Post
    We are performers. We are performing.
    Michael Stipe of REM is also a performer, but try to tell me his flailing arms don't look goofy?

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...l0.5.1.6-1l7l0

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    But more entertaining than just watching a guy carefully pushing faders and press buttons carefully and slowly ... I know when I get sucked into it my hands start pushing buttons and nudging imaginary faders and playing drums that most defiantly don't exist hehe.

At least he isn't wearing a big mouse mask
    I totally get that. A DJ needs to have a stage presence just like a musician.

I'll often groove to the music, and sometimes even head-bang (of sorts), but the hand flicker seems very superfluous to me, as if an attempt to make button pushing more glamorous, or difficult than what it really is...Moving your index finger half a centimetre to activate a button.
    Last edited by tokenasianguy; 12-19-2011 at 02:09 PM.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by tokenasianguy View Post
    Arms straight out and head back as if to be enjoying a totally euphoric moment?

Yeah I hate that too.
    Ohhh i so wish i still had that photo of a mate doing just that, as the lasers fired at precisely the right time...

Epic

its the same as a heavy metal guitarist head banging while playing, a singer jumping up and down, etc.

it just shows that your into what your doing
    Maschine Routine with live musicians
    http://youtu.be/ubEQZSvocto
    fb: http://www.facebook.com/djizn

i´m 140% pro "flutter" or "flick" hands while DJ'ing!!!
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast