Hardest genre's to mix...Your thoughts?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Hardest genre's to mix...Your thoughts?

I got my roots DJ'ing progressive house at a time when CDJ's had just been introduced, but Vinyl was still the industry standard, so beatmatching and riding the pitch were essential.

At the time, I used to think any kind of electronic music was the hardest to mix. With progressive it was usually about having the most subtle, cleanest sounding mixes which usually meant you were riding the pitch fader for a long time.

One day I met a guy who DJ'ed hip hop and R&B and he told me that Urban music was the hardest since you usually don't get a predictable 4/4 time signature. Even urban songs with similar BPM's have different types of breakbeats, or half beats, etc. The other factor was that you often don't get a 8 bar intro with just the beat as you would in a lot of progressive songs. While I could relate to what he was saying, I really didn't think it was that hard until I successfully made the switch from "electronic" music to "commercial" music.

These days, we might have the "sync" in Traktor, but I still think it's harder because you still don't get the intro (although I subscribe to an MP3 pool that creates songs with intros) and there's a lot of overlapping melodies, so it really helps to be familiar with the music or even the key.

A lot of electronic music with 4/4 time signatures tend to be very minimal, or "rhythmic" rather, so it's easy to cross-genre mix between progressive, techno, tech-house, funky house etc. I remember going to friends places and having them pull out record crates saying "this is the techno, and this is the house" and even though I wasn't familiar with the tracks, I could throw them all together. The more minimal, the better. For eg 4 deck mixing is a lot easier with minimal electronic genre's then hip hop, where I think it's virtually impossible. The first time I DJ'd drum n bass at a friends place, I was amazed with how easy it was, especially once I got the counts down.

With popular music, it was like I had to learn to DJ all over again.

Anyone have a similar experience?

Hip-hop is definitely the hardest for me to mix. I haven't practiced much with it but I am starting to and it can be difficult. I don't sync with hip hop because the phase meter doesn't tell you shit even when you try and grid properly. Usually I just do it all by ear. I definitely need to increase my library and practice mixing hip hop more.

Moderator of Silly Walks Citizen_Insane's Avatar

I think that regardless of genre, if you've been DJing for a bit and know your stuff when it comes to mixing, it isn't terribly hard to mix pretty much any genre mediocrely... However it takes a lot of dedication, practice and knowledge of the genre and your music to mix it really well.
    Traktor Pro, VCM 600, Custom Midi Fighter, Presonus Firebox, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    http://soundcloud.com/citizen_insane/
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    All these subgenre's are like the grandchildren of disco with dubstep and D&B being the bad kids that smoke cigarettes and are in and out of jail.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen_Insane View Post
    I think that regardless of genre, if you've been DJing for a bit and know your stuff when it comes to mixing, it isn't terribly hard to mix pretty much any genre mediocrely... However it takes a lot of dedication, practice and knowledge of the genre and your music to mix it really well.
    ^^^^ I make him right...

Said similar loads of times when mates ask me to do a set out of my chosen genre.. it will sound ok and half competent but it wont be outstanding

Tech Mentor

Then again lots would argue that when i mix my chosen genre it aint outstanding and far from competent :eek:

I think hip-hop and r-n-b are pretty hard to mix well, especially not being able to scratch at all.

scamo
    Skooppa - the revolution is beginning!

You want the best FX jogs on the S4? Then try this mapping!

Our Mixes: Mixcloud - Soundcloud
    Hehe...yeah. We're just beginning.

Tech Mentor

Think thats hard,... try Funk..

Listen to this... but to really appreciate how hard he is workin' this, you need to ID and go and listen to the unadulterated un mixed choons, and ill guarantee you'll be blown away
    http://www.thewordisbond.com/archives/9875

Quote Originally Posted by U-31 View Post
    Think thats hard,... try Funk..

Listen to this... but to really appreciate how hard he is workin' this, you need to ID and go and listen to the unadulterated un mixed choons, and ill guarantee you'll be blown away
    http://www.thewordisbond.com/archives/9875
    I forgot about that. Funk, Disco, or any genre that's not quantized is really hard, because you can't rely on sync'ing, at even beatmatching is harder because it's usually a real drummer playing the beat.

Anything with live drummers where the DJ does any blending at all. So…funk, soul, r&b, some 80s, etc..

Disco edits where they loop a rhythm part can be maddening. They give you the illusion that there is a steady tempo and you can beat match, then the loop ends with a fill or something and comes back a fraction of a second off throwing off the whole mix. At least with a pure live drummer funk track, you know its going to be drifting all over the place and you're either going to get in and out quick or do juggling/cuepoint stuff.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast