What should I get, equipment-wise?
    Tech Student

Default What should I get, equipment-wise?

My budget is $1500
    Im not going into electronic music blindly. I do have some knowledge and experience with producing music in Ableton. BUT, I still have MUCH to learn.

So my question is,“What should I get, equipment-wise"?

What kind of laptop?
    I figured I have $1500 to spend, might as well spend the extra cash and get a nice laptop that Im gonna hold on to for a while. One that wont shit out on me and that will run Ableton flawlessly.

What kind of Headset?
    I want a high quality headset to produce/mix with. Yes I know headsets aren’t optimal for mixing. But I JUST want to get started.
    Im not in a stable living situation so I cant really look into getting monitors just yet. Nor is it really in my budget right now.

(*Idk if it matters, but the genre of music that im producing is Electro/Trance/Club/House.. You get the idea lol.)

So what's your guys' opinion!? Advice, tips, suggestions, and recommendations are all greatly appreciated!

Thank you for your time!
    Last edited by SMChills; 12-20-2011 at 05:19 PM.

Welcome to DJTT!

First things first..... This post is in the wrong sub forum. This one is for posting your mixes and music. A mod may move it soon.

A Mac seems to be the computer of choice for most professional musicians. A good windows machine can work fine as well, but usually needs some tweaking to get it to behave properly.

You will need an external sound card if you want to input vocals and instruments.

A midi keyboard will also be needed. A controller like an APC 20 or 40 is a nice addition as well.

And some good headphones.

There are threads in these forums already on most of these items, so do some searching for more info.
    Last edited by VanGogo; 12-20-2011 at 04:49 PM.

Tech Student

"This post is"... ?? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by SMChills View Post
    "This post is"... ?? Lol
    Wasn't finished and hit the wrong button on phone, sorry for the suspense lol

Tech Student

Well how the hell do you delete posts? The edit button says Edit/Delete. But I see no delete button! lol.

Sorry Im a noob to forums.

No worries. A moderator will probably move it.

Near the top of each sub forum is a "sticky" post about what each sub forum is for. The production forum, general forum, and controllers mods reviews forums will contain the info you seek.

Also the main blog has some great information/ articles about Ableton, sound cards, etc.