DJM800 - Digital vs RCA
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default DJM800 - Digital vs RCA

Not entirely sure this belongs here but I'm looking for some feedback.

Do we have any Pioneer DJM800 users running digital instead of RCA connections? I'm trying to configure my EQ's just doesn't sound right. Slightly too punchy with dull bass.

My current horrible speakers are knackered but I'm buying RP8's in the not so distant future. Trying to configure this with Sennheiser buds

tl;dr - Are digital connections beneficial to the DJM800, regardless of monitors/etc

they are if your place legit cds, if you playing mp3tocd tracks you get no benefit
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Meaning, unless I play studio quality recordings, digital will have no advantage over RCA?

Quote Originally Posted by Filthsky View Post
    Meaning, unless I play studio quality recordings, digital will have no advantage over RCA?
    yup. dont quote me, but keep in mind that you lose some audio quality when using mp3s.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

It will not make a difference unless you're an audiophile or anal retentive. Line/Phono cables have been the industry standard for years, I doubt using digital is really beneficial at all. The only convenience to digital is that it's 1 plug as opposed to 2. So...like...an extra 30 seconds of your life. If the digital input is giving you problems, switch back to phono/line inputs and I bet you won't know the difference, even if you played "studio quality" recordings/lossless/whatever. Especially if you play highly compressed music like electro or essentially any electronically made music where there is much less nuance in the sound than say - if you are playing a recording of the New York Philharmonic Orchestra or some harpist strumming away... Then again, if you're mixing classical music...you're probably one of the very few.

Tech Wizard

There would be 1 less digital audio conversion taking place so it's going to be a higher quality signal at the mixers master out regardless of if you're using mp3's or wav's. Also you can use the fader start option on the DJM800 if you're into that.

Wether or not you can actually notice the quality increase is subjective though. If I wasn't using Traktor I'd run digital from my CDJ 1000's to my DJM800...I mean why not, it's higher quality regardless.
    TSP 2.1.2, Audio8, Macbook Pro i7, OSX 10.6.8

I guess the digital can wait for now. It could be that I have low quality RCA cabling. I got the EQ sounding pretty nice last night but dupstep seems to sound "hollow" for some reason. Can't seem to find a balance

Anyway, thanks for the info chaps! Glad I asked here.

Tech Wizard

fyi it's digital, it doesn't matter about the quality of the cabling

..as long as the cable isn't physically broken inside the sleeve obviously.

You might want to try posting on the Pioneer forums, maybe it's a known issue and you need to toggle some switch or something.
    TSP 2.1.2, Audio8, Macbook Pro i7, OSX 10.6.8

Tech Mentor

What do you mean by configure your EQs?

The EQs on an 800 are factory set aren't they? i.e you can't change how they work

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

You should be able to run a DJ mixer Flat - everything 12 o' Clock or almost, I'd be looking at maybe getting a post mixer EQ TBH.

BUT if you are running direct to headphones through the mixer everything should sound fine Flat regardless unless there's an issue with the mixer itself.

If you run the audio direct from CD/MP3 to the Senn buds or speakers bypassing the mixer does everything still sound like crap ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast