My new classic hip-hop mix

Default My new classic hip-hop mix

Hey TechTools:
    I've never posted a mix here, but I figured i'd make this my first. I finally got my 1200s (that was a 12 year dream completed) and couldn't help but bust this one out. Please feel free to critique as necessary! I love the criticism, as it helps me figure out what I need to do better.

Last edited by bmwnutfrombirth; 12-22-2011 at 12:36 AM.

no link lol
    2013 Vancouver Red Bull Thre3style champ

FACEBOOK | TWITTER | SOUNDCLOUD | INSTAGRAM

Fixed. Got all excited on my first post and prematurely pressed "enter". Lol.

Nice trip through my upbringing. Tight work.

Tech Mentor

I admit the initial build up was just OK for me, but as the track progressed it made your transitions really shine. I really liked your "I got 5 on it" to "naughty by nature" transition. I know personally I need to work on that style of transition myself.

Only real nit-pick, I would have titled this a pop/hop-hop/r&b mix.
    DJ Lou Paris

Question

@ParisCreative:
    I'll admit, it is quite top-40-ish. I grew up and learned how to DJ while working for a mobile jock, so we did alot of school dances and such, so I love playing music that people know. Thank you so much for the kind words, as I was proud of almost all of these transitions. I can really see why people love turntables, as I find it easier to mix with them. It's really made my transitions smoother.

PS Feel free to subscribe to my Soundcloud folks! I'm going to be doing alot more now that i'm not in school anymore; I really need to get my grind going! Thanks for your time!
    BMWnutfrombirth
    Last edited by bmwnutfrombirth; 12-23-2011 at 03:04 AM.

Tech Mentor

Nothing wrong with top-40. I had a pretty similar past, first sets I did were at school dances, and finally was able to save up to get SL1200's, till they got stolen in college. I'm on the Kontrol S2 now, and while I love the board, you do miss the vinyl feel.

Happy mixing!
    DJ Lou Paris

@ParisCreative:
    Bastards! I hate thieves. Funny you have the S2; I myself wouldn't mind having one of those, except I think they failed by not including a filter knob. That itself is a deal breaker for me, and I don't like the workaround techtools came up with (So I can have gain, or filter, but not both? oh hell no.). How do you like it all in all? What would you change?

Tech Mentor

Hmm the filter know is a definite minus. Also sharing hot cues with sample decks are a bit of a minus. I do wish I could have gotten the S4, but this was my first deck in a 12+ year hiatus in mixing. I may eventually step up to the S4, the NS7, or go to timecoded vinyl.
    DJ Lou Paris

Tech Wizard

i enjoyed this mix. i'm trying to learn on transitioning that way you done it. Any tips?