A2DJ + KRK 5's, best way to connect?
    Tech Wizard

Default A2DJ + KRK 5's, best way to connect?

Hey guys I've tried searching the forum to no avail. I reckon this is a pretty popular setup with the a2dj and the active rokit 5's, just wondering how best to connect it up and what cables to buy?

The guy I bought them from said try and use balanced, but I'm not really if sure this is possible with the a2dj and to still acheive a stereo sound?

I bought the a2dj second hand and they didnt give me the cables so I don't have any cables to start with and was just wondering what, anyone who's got this combination, would recommend?

Cheers!
    2014 MBP Retina 15" / Maschine Studio / MM-1 / 2x X1 Mk2 / A2DJ / Rokit 5's

Just get a 1/4" stereo to RCA adapter

the A2DJ doesn't have balanced outs so no point adapting to 1/4" or XLR on the rokkits.

Welcome to one big reason not to use all-in-one controllers. Good mixers have balanced outputs.

So…there are a couple options:

1. Get a DI Box and a Microphone Preamp for each channel. That'd cost more than the Audio 2.
    2. Don't worry about it and use the TRS to dual RCA cables that came with the Audio 2. This works just fine as long as the cable runs are short (<10' or so, shorter if you're in a really electrically noisy area). This is usually what I do when I'm not using my mixer, and it's not a problem where I live.
    3. Get a small FOH mixer like the Behringer Xenyx series. Alesis, Yamaha, and Mackie all make competitors if you're afraid of Behringer, but unlike their DJ gear, I've had good luck with the xenyx mixers. IMHO, they're all about the same, which is to say that as long as you're only using line-level signals, they're fine. Their mic pres are noisy, their effects all blow, and they're all about the same level of quality…which is to say good enough and not particularly likely to break too early, but you will replace them at some point…at those prices, who cares? You still have to make sure you're using 2 mono channels (or a stereo channel) and probably get either a TRS to dual TS cable or RCA->TS adapters instead of just plugging in a TRS cable, but hopefully you knew that already.

Tech Wizard

Hey thanks for the replies guys, you got me pointed in the right direction now.

I'm not completely attached to the a2dj but I do like its size. Is there a small good quality (not too expensive) usb or firewire soundcard compatible with mac that has balanced outs that you guys could recommend I watch out on ebay for?

Tech Mentor

TRS to dual RCA should be fine. People place monitors fairly close to their computer so there's no need for balanced cables. Balanced cables reject noise better which becomes a factor over longer distances. But again, people tend to set up monitors close to their audio interface. So simply stick to the TRS to dual RCA cable unless you run into problems with humming (or other) noise.

M-audio MobilePre V2 has balanced outs.
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by abletom View Post
    Hey thanks for the replies guys, you got me pointed in the right direction now.

I'm not completely attached to the a2dj but I do like its size. Is there a small good quality (not too expensive) usb or firewire soundcard compatible with mac that has balanced outs that you guys could recommend I watch out on ebay for?
    Komplete Audio 6 is awesome and has several pairs of balanced outs and is a perfect soundcard if you don't want to use an external mixer.

They are on sale for $199 new right now I think until december 31st but everywhere is sold out. I got mine from B&H two weeks ago but they are sold out

actually proaudiostar just got them back in stock: http://www.proaudiostar.com/native-i...interface.html

It says b-stock but trust me they are not b stock and are brand new, if you email or call them they will tell you they can give you a new one for 199

What counts as not expensive?

The Apogee Duet 2 is probably the best in-the-box-DJ sound card on the planet if you want balanced outputs…for like $600.

Tech Wizard

Thanks again dual RCA to 1/4 jack seems to be working great (there is a very slight hum when the music is stopped but it's barely noticeable).

That looks like an awesome deal on the komplete audio 6 xone, I paid about that for my a2dj a year ago, unfortunately I'm in the UK!

I saw the duet two mentioned on a lot of the producer forums, sounds sick even if they have dropped the firewire connection. Anyone here use the duet and have noticeably better sound quality, or is it overkill for djing?