need help connecting some gear between djs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default need help connecting some gear between djs

Hey guys ive done a search and found a few answers but nothing current to what id like to do with the recent updates of traktor. So me and my buddy are wanting to set up a dual dj set up and here is our equipment.

Dj 1 - Kontrol s4 or behringer ddm 4000 with 2 cdjs, 1 audio 6 soundcard, 1 mbp

Dj 2 - Ableton with apc 40, (needs to purchase a soundcard), and a windows laptop

So what would be the easiest way to set the mbp as a master and have the ableton laptop midi sync (slave) with it? If dj 2 was to get a soundcard such as (audio 8, or m-audio) with midi ports could he slave his laptop then into my s4 or my ddm 4000 mixer since they both have midi ports? I'm just a little stumped on the best/easiest approach to making this rig work. Thanks in advanced.

I connect 2 setups using an alesis external mixer. 2 setups 1 sound system

Quote Originally Posted by DJ SCOTTY FATS View Post
    I connect 2 setups using an alesis external mixer. 2 setups 1 sound system
    This..or just pick up a line mixer with XLR or TRS out.
    Technics 1200 MK2s - Vestax PMC06 - NI Kontrol S2 - Traktor - Akai APC40 - Ableton Live 8

Tech Mentor

so I was looking at the alesis mixers how would that be able to connect two laptops? Would you not need midi ports as well? Sorry if this is a noob response I just haven't dabbled with dual set-ups before.

Are you looking for 2 systems to 1 sound system? Or are you looking too sync 2 laptops to the same program? I'm confused.

Syncing between windows and mac is kind of a pain in the ass. Honestly.

Internally between two MBP's is pretty straightforward. But windows gets more complicated.

What you need to do is use an external MIDI clock. That way you can sync up both systems to the external clock if I'm not mistaken.

I'm not a guru at this, and while I did try and attempt it with a buddy (myself using a MBP, and he was using Windows) I wasn't able to get it to work. We decided that if we really wanted to do it, we'd need to get an external midi clock.

So we just do it by ear at this point. And it's much easier lol.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

plug everything into the DDM and mix in/out of each other.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Mentor

thanks for all the replies guys.. I'm wanting to do two systems to one sound system.. I was worried that connecting a mac to a windows via midi would be difficult but was hoping since the recent updates with traktor that it may be easier. What kind of external midi clock would you all recommend?

Tech Wizard

The ableton user needs a soundcard with midi io or a midi interface. You can probably test it out though with the s4 and your audio 6,assuming they both have midi io ports. Just connect a midi cable from the midi out on the s4 and the midi in on the audio 6. Set Traktor to send midi clock over the s4 output. Then connect the audio 6 via USB to the windows laptop. In live preferences, find the audio 6 under the midi tab and turn on "sync".

You need to find the master tempo in Traktor and make sure it's sending clock data and then in live, top left corner, click the "ext" button. There are butons in traktor to toggle sending the clock and syncing the slave (in your case, live).

Edit: forgot about sound.

If you set it all up like above you should realize you have the ddm left over. Just choose one or more channels on the audio 6 as live's outputs and connect them to line in's on the ddm. The your s4 to another line in. Finally connect the ddm outs to your speakers /pa/whatever.
    Last edited by J5k; 12-23-2011 at 10:31 PM.

Tech Mentor

j5k thank you for that informative reply.. One final question though my audio 6 does not have a midi so if the ableton pc had an m-audio soundcard with midi, even though it's not an audio dj soundcard will it still be able to sync up with my s4 midi/ traktor?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast