Should this setup work?

Default Should this setup work?

I'm DJing a dance at my school soon, but don't plan on doing this regularly so I'm not going to buy a bunch of equipment if I don't have to.

I was going to run four 12" cabinets with horns on stands, that all have an RMS of 200 watts. I was going to power these with one amp, two speakers per channel, 400 watts from the amp per channel. Then I was thinking also having a 300 watt rms 15" sub, powered by an amp that can run 900 watts in bridge-mono mode. I would use this in addition to a 200 watt 12" powered sub. I would use a crossover to send the mids and highs to the four cabinets, and around 300hz and lower to the subs.

Should this work for a dance with about 200 people, without risk of damaging any of the speakers?

I'm no expert on PA setups but that sounds cutting it really close. It would depend on what type of speakers and the room but my gut tells me it's not enough and seems stretching it from the limited information I have since I have no idea what the speakers you're using sound like and how they actually perform (wattage doesn't tell me much).

Two Laney CX12's http://www.laney.co.uk/show_prod.php?prod=cx12
    Two EV SX100+'s http://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=200
    Kustom PA112S http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...2s-powered-sub

I'm not sure what the passive sub will be, as I want to find what else I'll need before I make a long drive to the music store to rent equipment. Worst case scenario it will be a Nady PSW15 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...w-15-subwoofer

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

A decent hire company should have a better idea of exactly what you plus provide matching amplifiers/limiters/x-overs. You should not need to even think about configuring anything, and plenty of them will lock the x-overs in the rack so their equipment is not damaged.

A company I used to work with many years ago used to hire out 1k-1.5k (very efficient) Custom boxes that were freaking awesome for gigs like this,

There was 3 cables to plug in and just play. They were dual 15' floor standers, about 5ft x 2ft x 2ft per cab, they sounded great for most anything and almost Impossible to blow (only happened to a single horn once ever that I remember)... It was the perfect setup for DJ's

I'd suggest keep it as simple as possible, rather than adding lots of speakers/amps/stands/cables with differing specs. See if you can get 2 x big-badass cabs + an amp.

Or

Perhaps 2 x 15' 3-500watt tops plus 2 x 15'/18' subs with passive x-overs or perhaps powered speakers, IMHO the hire company should spec the Amps if req.

Less gear = Less to go wrong on the night, more cables & stands etc = tripping risks.

What you are talking about will work no doubt, just seems a bit mishmash.

Any particular reason you wanted 4 x Tops ?

Default Should this setup work?

It all depends on the size of the room, and what kind of spl you want. My suggestion would be to rent speakers from a company for the night, your cabs arent going to cut it.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Also looking at your original spec, your Amps you were talking about sound bigger than the speakers can handle which is never a good combination, you need to check what the output is rated for, 4/8/16 ohms.

No matter how careful you are once your ears get tired and the volume goes up, someone hits a knob etc .. it can be easy to blow things.

Easier and safer to rent the lot for a gig like that.

Tech Mentor

300HZ is very high for a sub aswell its normally 180HZ or lower, i'd advise doing at previous posters said and get a hire company to spec what you need. Just give them a rough size of the room, number of people and your bass requirements.