Teensyduino motorised platter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Teensyduino motorised platter

Just seen this:

http://www.unfocusedbrain.com/projec...SB_MIDI_Servo/

Which is basically a very simple schematic and 28 lines of code that allows a teensy to control a servo motor using midi over usb.

I'm not sure how possible this would be, but does anyone know if its feasibly possible to use this as the basis for Traktor motorised platters on a diy controller? Does Traktor output the necessary midi commands to make this possible?

Tech Mentor

Not that I know anything about code..
    but it this going back to your "CDJ clone"
    if so I can't wait.. motorized platters :eek:
    drool
    mk128, maschine, oxygen25, firewire 410, ableton suite 8

Erm....Traktor (Fucking) Pro has worse than poor support for motorised platters.
    Lets just mention that is has no "reverse play" midi message.
    You would be better off with Traktor DJ Studio 3 and it's OSC support.
    Many photons have died to bring you this information.

hmm well I mean hacking motorised platter support out of the existing midi available in Traktor Pro.

For example, don't forget that a Teensy will be sat in the middle, interpreting the midi it receives from Traktor (and viceversa). So with that in mind, does it mean that we could send a midi command from Traktor when a deck is playing that would be converted by the Teensy into movement?

And then when someone stops the platter from moving, this causes the Teensy to send a cue/pause midi command to Traktor. Changing the pitch in Traktor causes Teensy to increase the motor speed. I think scratching might take a bit more work though...

maybe you could use the midi-clock for tempo assignment.

although it's master tempo only... :/

Agreed, play/pause and controlling the speed of the platter is not hard to implement.
    BUT
    I don't see much benefit of having a platter spinning without the way to feed the (useful) data back into Traktor. Now I'm not saying that cue/pause is not useful but you can have one button doing the job just as fine. Pitch changes are a bit trickier, you'd probably have to use a hall effect based encoder and feed it to Traktor as pitch changes.
    Now can you find a solution to this (because I was unable to): what happens when you want to perform a spinback? And I'm not talking about track scrubbing that you would use with CD-player-type low-res encoder. I am talking about utilising the Traktor scratch engine to have as best possible sounding spinback (vinyl feel) it can provide.

(Im not hating, Im in this quest for some time now so I think we might help each other out)

you could make the teensy behave as a usb mouse and literally scratch the waveform using the mouse! bit hacky but it should work. You'd probably need some intermediary software to detect the area of the Traktor screen to move the mouse to so that Teensy could send the right mouse movement commands to do the scratching or spinbacks.

or hack yourself deeply into traktors timecode, emulate a traktor audio 6/10 and transform your platter movement into timcode signal

shoot me a message when you've finished, so I can start spreading the word of the chosen one living amongst us as a geeky DJ.

I was trying to emulate NI hardware, haven't had much luck. I'd rather use mixxx than fuck around with virtual soundcard drivers. And new mixxx is goood.

MiLO, your idea is not just hackish but unusable too, IMHO.

yeah it's pretty hack'y but it'd be still interesting to see how far it could be taken. Don't forget that a Teensy and servo motor is pretty cheap compared to most commercial solutions. I'm not expecting miracles but perhaps something that does a 'reasonable' job...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast