creating a slideshow with purchased music -- what are my rights
    Tech Convert

Default creating a slideshow with purchased music -- what are my rights

hi so I want to make a slideshow of me djing various event to give to a possible new client. obviously I would like music in the background. what are the legal obstacles i may face? i know i cant use any song (even if i purchased it on something that I will be making money off of) but this will just be given to the client.

also, i will edit the song I am including (adding some loops and what not) so it wont be a verbatim copy of the original.

one last thought, if I change the key of the song then its not the original notes so then would it be ok to use??

I know most of you will think ' oh just use royalty free music ' but my boss has a song that wants to use for this.

--> thanks for the advice I dont want to get bit in the ass later..

Tech Mentor

So this is just to show a possible client your skills? The slideshow on its own is not a commercial product? Technically, you'd need permission from the author because you're distributing his work. In reality, no one gives a fuck. You've paid for the tune, and you're not selling it or using it for a direct commercial purpose. No worries.
    Dell XPS 15 1080p -|- Kontrol X1 -|- Kontrol F1 -|- Akai LPD8 -|- Audio 6 -|- Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5 -|- 2 * Reloop RP-4000 M3Ds

Tech Convert

Yeah this wont be for sale or sold in any way shape or form. This is a show tailored directly for the client (who is a big company in cali)

the song I want to use is a rock and roll song from kinda a big name band. hmmm

Well, you're doing some kind of routine with the song to showcase your skills. So yeah you're inhabiting the same 'grey area' as people who put mixes online.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Tech Convert

Hey buddy!
    As I understand copyright law (rather basic), the unauthorised use of a musical work or sound recording (in this case both) constitutes an infringement of the copy holders exclusive rights to their work. That being said, there are a few exceptions to infringement that may pertain to your situation. On one hand, since the work is not being exploited for commercial purposes (kind of but not especially) you may be able to argue that your use of the work falls under the 'fair use' doctrine in that you were trying to use impede on their rights but merely were operating under the intent of innovation etc. sadly that probably won't work...
    But in reality as long as you attribute the work to them, keep it private, and not make any attempts to fuck with their rights, these days you're pretty much alright. I say go for it.

Default creating a slideshow with purchased music -- what are my rights

Fair use. End of story.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank112916 View Post
    Fair use. End of story.
    Depend on the country tbh ... people can't make sweeping statements like this without knowing a shitload more detail where the OP is based ...
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Tech Convert

Sherlocke's right- certain aspects of copyright law differ from country to country. But at the end of the day I can't really see a defence for what youre doing no matter the country. Honestly, just attribute the songs to the bands that did it, make sure you're not selling it, and just use it for private promotion, you'll be head and shoulders better than thousands of YouTube users

Tech Convert

thanks for the input guys

The way "fair-use" is being thrown around is kind of funny in and of itself.