what controller to buy for a 4 deck setup??
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default what controller to buy for a 4 deck setup??

hi,

i'm looking for a compact way to control the 4 available decks in traktor pro. the only thing i can find that seems to be made for this is the really expensive xone mixer

i used to dj with vinyl and never did anything else... but i didn't get to it anymore because i was only @ home in the weekends and carrying around two turntables is just not possible . so i'm looking for a setup that would allow me to carry it with me without to much problems and i can hook up with my mixer when i come home... is this possible or am i asking to much?

i've been looking @ the vcm 600 from vestax but it's made for ableton...

other option i am considering are:

-waiting for the vestax vcm 400: but it has the controls for deck 3 and 4 combined with those for deck 1 and 2 and that seems not very handy to me

-the numark mixmeister control... but it's made for mixmeister... and i'm not really liking that product because of that sales womam in all their videos on youtube... and those corny buttons on it that say "mix now".

-the livid ohm 64 that is bound to come out... but again for ableton..(and can i use all those buttons anyway? i'm used to a regular mixer with knobs and faders... no buttons: so from my newbie point of view i'm not really seeing what to use them for yet...)

-the apc 40: but again for ableton...(same as the ohm 64)

-and the xone 2d: but i don't know wether that is possible to mix on just alone the 2d

so maybe i should just get me ableton live instead?
    i hope somebody can help me with this... maybe i made a bit too complicated for myself...
    off course i would need a soundcard with some of these options...

i would like to keep it under 1000 euro if that is at all possible
    any suggestions?
    i think more ppl are struggling with this problem but i couldn't find a real thread that discusses a 4 deck setup except with modifiers...

vci -100 with firmware 1.3 (or 1.4 when it comes out)

you don't have 'complete' hands on control of 4 decks but with the push of 1 button you can control decks C and D. and plus the vci 100 is sexy and will get you mad babes lol

Tech Convert

yeah but you can't do eq an deck 1 and 3 at the same time? or can you choose wich deck you control with wich side of the controller...? if you know what i mean...?

yeah i know what you mean, you can kinda get your way around it but i see where you're coming from. i think there's a clear line between tuntablism (jog wheels, traktor pro etc) and what i call abletonism where you use controllers like the vcm 600 and such. And those allen and heath zone controllers cost far too much i reckon

what just came to mind the the Novation remote SL Zero MKII, just came out and looks pretty nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdIk2THJMRg

Proxy uses the first Remote SL zero (without the led rings round the knobs) when i saw him like a month ago

have you considered a VCI-100 and an external 4 channel mixer?
    fart.

Tech Convert

i was looking for an all in one controller... just so i would b able to carry it around easily... that's why i like these controllers... they look far more compact than a mixer... but maybe it's the only possible way.. it's also one of the reasons i wouldn't want to spend all that money on a xone... they don't look that travel ready to me....

Quote Originally Posted by FooL View Post
    [..]

i've been looking @ the vcm 600 from vestax but it's made for ableton...

[..]
    -the livid ohm 64 that is bound to come out... but again for ableton..(and can i use all those buttons anyway? i'm used to a regular mixer with knobs and faders... no buttons: so from my newbie point of view i'm not really seeing what to use them for yet...)

-the apc 40: but again for ableton...(same as the ohm 64)
    Why should this be a problem? I myself am using a Behringer BCR2000 to control 4 decks in Traktor. Works like a charm.

Can't wait to try an APC40 in Traktor tbh!

-and the xone 2d: but i don't know wether that is possible to mix on just alone the 2d
    Again..... Why(not)?

so maybe i should just get me ableton live instead?
    You could do that, if you're more into live remixing.

If Traktor suits you, just stick with it.

i hope somebody can help me with this... maybe i made a bit too complicated for myself...
    You sure are. The only choice for you should be, do I want to try to manually beatmatch, or do I want to use beatgrids and sync options?

This will lead to what controller you want.
    Sync DJs, to me, don't need jogwheels. So you can look at controllers you call Ableton controllers.

off course i would need a soundcard with some of these options...

i would like to keep it under 1000 euro if that is at all possible
    any suggestions?
    Loadsa options can be found in this forum, just take a look around on the forums.

Just look at what controller you'd like to see.

Rumour has it, you will be able to pick up an APC40 for $299 or $399. So this will not blow your bank.

Next you need to decide what soundcard you'd like to have.
    (The ever so strong Native Instruments cards or ...?)
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

If you integrate Bomes into your setup you can make the VCI-100 a lot more customisable.

Also, I've used the Remote 25SL to switch decks on either side, so there are a whole lotta options.

You really want to narrow down what direction you want to go and what kind of DJing you want to experience. You want four decks, but that isn't very limiting these days, which the right MIDI knowledge. Hell, you can use the MPD32 to control four decks pretty easily as well.

So yeah, you need to decide a few things: Do you want jog wheels, do you want touch pads, do you want keys, do you want sync, do you want... etc. etc. etc.
    Then come back and we'll go from there.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Convert

thx for the answers... i guess i got some things to figure out...

as i see now, i don't need any jogwheels (and guess i don't really want them either)... the problem is more of figuring out what i do want... because i'm a newbie in this digital dj world i don't really know how much knobs, pads or faders i really need or want...

i would like to get a controller that looks a bit like a mixer but with all the functionality the software brings in...

eq's on each channel... loop functions... enough control over effects.

with the apc 40 and the ohm 64 i don't really know how to use the pads grid... i've seen it in action on youtube but don't really know in wich ways it can be used really or how you go about it... only thing i know is: it looks really dope . i understand that you can use these pads to trigger samples... but is are there more options??

also on the apc 40 i can't see how i would controll my eq's in a handy way...

the reason i liked de vestax vcm 600 is because it looks the most like something i can relate to... meaning my mixer i have now... (also from vestax btw)

so the choice between these options is quite hard for me...

how did you guys go about it in the beginning? or did you all start out with the vci 100?

perhaps try and find one or a couple of used x-session pros?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast