Decent in-ear studio monitors.
    Tech Wizard

Default Decent in-ear studio monitors.

I am looking for decent in-ear studio monitors with a replaceable cable, because I'd like to take them with me while traveling as well and then there's always a chance that the cable might break.

Does anyone know what solutions are out there? I don't mind paying for quality, but I do mind paying to much for in-ears from brand A that are barely better than the much cheaper brand B. But I guess nobody does
    Macbook Pro 15'' / Traktor Kontrol S4

Tech Convert

Default Ultimate Ears UE4 or Westone UM2

I've used both the UM2 and the UE4. I love my custom UE4s they seal perfectly and sound really good for the price (about the cheapest custom IEMs). The Westone UM2 are a great universal fit IEM. Both of these are dual driver and handle both the lows/highs very well. Some guys in the band use the UM1 (single driver) and really like them, I always thought they were lacking in low-end punch and sounded a bit muddy across the spectrum.

The custom UE4s are $399 and you'll need to get molds made at an audiologist (mine charges $20). Also to note, the custom UEs sound WAY better than their universal fits.

The UM2s are available anywhere from $279 (on Amazon) to $299 here on DJTT.
    Last edited by Kerner; 12-26-2011 at 08:58 PM.

Ultimate Ears: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/ue/cus...-ear-monitors#

A drummer buddy of mine uses these all the time on stage and from what he tells me they are worth every penny but then again that's allot of pennies. He uses the custom fitted in-ears with 3 drivers.

Alien Ears: http://www.alienears.com/category/19...ear-mitrs.aspx

Another friend of mine who plays bass (with the same friend mentioned above) uses these on stage during gigs. He hates them. He was constantly readjusting them in-between songs which pretty much defeated the purpose of custom fitted in ears. He did like the sound though he said it really wasn't anything special. Eventually they sorta just fell apart on him and now he's in the market for something else.

In the end you get what you pay for. The alien ears are the cheapest custom fitted in ear monitors that I have ever heard of and are a good option for someone with a tight budget and a heart set on fitted earbuds. Although my friend's experience with them was not so great, I have heard from others that theirs have worked out just fine. It's been said that buying alien ears is a gamble but thats for you to decide. If you have the money I would just go with ultimate ears but in my opinion custom in ear monitors seem a little too extravagant for DJ'ing unless your really making bank. You could get more for your money with a nice set of headphones. If you plan on producing with earbuds I would suggest the more conventional monitors but thats just me. Of course there are also tons of other options out there if you don't care for the whole custom fitted thing.

Hope this helps

Tech Wizard

Thanks for the response guys. I am sorry for not elaborating more on my needs. I think that I could best describe my needs as following:
    - Good-sounding in-ears for on the go
    - (Almost) Ever-lasting due to replaceable cord

That's pretty much it. I'm not asking for top of the line-stuff. I mean, I do take my music very seriously but I just don't feel that I'm ready for that stuff yet, as I'm currently disc jockey with a Stanton DJPRO 2000 and finding that a fine headphone. And my productions I currently do on a set of Roth Audioblob 2 (do want to upgrade to some Rokit 5 or 6 though). I hope you guys get what I mean, is a custom Westone still the only way for me or would it be better to save a few bucks and go for something cheaper (e.g. the Talk product line).

Tech Convert

Default Cost?

I guess a good question would be how much are you looking to spend? That shapes the suggestions a lot.

Tech Wizard

Let's say I'm willing to invest a total of around 150-200 euro's (190-260 dollars) for decent in-ears.

Decent in-ear studio monitors
    no such thing, especially for production. Get a pair of decent headphones instead, like sony mdr 7506 or AKG K271s mk2

Tech Convert

I really think it that price range (and it's slightly above it) the best bet is the UM2s from Westone. They're about the cheapest IEMs with a replaceable cable that sound good.

i am using the westone 3s day and night and i love 'em. since the westone 4s are out now, i'd get those. i tried the studio version first but they were lacking alot of the lower frequencies for the kind of bass heavy music that i deal with.
    "its not designed to impress mozart ffs its meant for ppl to rave out to." - unknown
    LAZERNOIZE Latest Gig Recording (50Min. of Trap+Dubstep)

Tech Wizard

Hey really interested in going the in-ear route too. I don't wanna hi-jack your thread but I'm looking at the westone 4's aswell after the reviews for the um2's and 3's, having said that I really like the sound (no pun intended) of in-ear customs. Does anyone know is it possible to have custom buds made for iem monitors (possibly third party) and would this be beneficial, or are the monitors tuned in such a way that they either lend themselves to being custom fitted on not?
    2014 MBP Retina 15" / Maschine Studio / MM-1 / 2x X1 Mk2 / A2DJ / Rokit 5's