In-ear Headphones for DJing, worth using?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default In-ear Headphones for DJing, worth using?

Hey guys, got a gig coming up in the next few days at a main club in town, and I'm wondering about DJing with In-ear Headphones. I have a pair of Sony "MDR-EX33LP" (image below) and would like to know if they are better than the standard DJ over-ear headphones? (Own a pair of Pioneer HDJ-500)

I was thinking about using them, mainly because they cancel alot of external sound out, also help with hearing damage if I don't turn them up too far, because I know from experience I turn my headphones up far to much when in a club.

So, what's your opinion, experience, advice? Worth doing or trying. What do you think? All advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Sony MDR-EX33LP:
    Last edited by Kelsey1B; 12-26-2011 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Adding Quote/Image
    | HP Laptop | Traktor Pro | Denon DN-MC6000 | Akai MPD24 & LPD18 | Pioneer HDJ-1500 | AKG K181 | 2x Stanton C.324 |

Tech Convert

in ears are great if the booth is quiet. the suck at blocking out outside noise though.

take both...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

I've frequently got one ear in and one ear out of my headphones. Wedging something into my ear and then plucking it out every 2 minutes would seriously hack me off.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

I use my in ears at home when it is late and my parents are trying to sleep, I have tried them in a 150+ party and they were crap. In ears for home and if u are in a quiet booth. But if it is loud and noisy then I would stick with ur hdj500

Headphones are already pretty hard on your hearing & earbuds are much worse. Using earbuds in a loud environment is just asking for tinnitus.

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    Wedging something into my ear and then plucking it out every 2 minutes would seriously hack me off.
    That's the reason I'm not gonna try spinning with my Shure SE215 anytime soon. It probably would be nice in general, but the whole procedure of taking them out and putting them back in when you have to quickly talk to someone (or whatever) would be pretty annoying, I think.
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

just never take them out. I keep my headphones on almost the whole time and mix in my headphones.

I never use these. Absolutely useless in terms of volume, noise insulation then the cord is always 1 or 1.2 meters meaning you can't move away from the mixer. Then using these to monitor again loud environments is just asking for permanent ear damage.

Thanks guys for all your advice, think my safest option is just to leave them at home.

I know for a fact that Josh Wink uses custom made ones which he uses when he's playing. Seems to work for him.
    | HP Laptop | Traktor Pro | Denon DN-MC6000 | Akai MPD24 & LPD18 | Pioneer HDJ-1500 | AKG K181 | 2x Stanton C.324 |

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast