Questions about a Dj set up.

Default Questions about a Dj set up.

If I were to want to get a DJ setup but I didnt want simply a controller, what would I look for? Obviously two turntables, a mixer and speakers are standard. Help me out?! Im kind of a noob. Also can you use turntables with a program like Traktor?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Chebiva View Post
    If I were to want to get a DJ setup but I didnt want simply a controller, what would I look for? Obviously two turntables, a mixer and speakers are standard. Help me out?! Im kind of a noob. Also can you use turntables with a program like Traktor?

are you planning on just being a home/bedroom dj or do you want to dj parties/ small events? ..

yes u can use traktor with 2 turntables

Quote Originally Posted by jsa83 View Post
    are you planning on just being a home/bedroom dj or do you want to dj parties/ small events? ..

yes u can use traktor with 2 turntables
    Starting at my house to learn but I mean I want to progress to play small events hopefully, whether that be gigs or just a friends party.

Tech Mentor

ok cool.. whats your budget? do you have any gear already?

No Gear but I have a budget of about 1500. I'm not necessarily looking to buy immediately so I can go a little higher but preferably not. I basically just need to know what I need to look for and why.

Tech Mentor

are you looking to use traktor or serato?

i'm a serato guy but i'm planning on trying out traktor

if your planning on getting a turntable setup i'd suggest a pair technics mk2's (under 500 used) and a rane ttm 57sl mixer. i think you can find them for a little under 1000 used

I have a buddy who has an s4 and ive used serato at a guitar center and Ive come to like Traktor way better, but thats just personal preferance. Any sound cards or extra stuff? Also ive seen people used vinyl with traktor, how does that work?

You'll need:

2 turntables
    1 mixer
    a soundcard/software combo IE: Serato/sl box or traktor/audio dj card with respective time coded vinyl.

The way the time codes work is the record/cd transmits a frequency which runs into the soundcard which converts the digital data from the mp3 onto the frequency and send it to the mixer. This allows you to use mp3s and still use vinyl.

Start researching all the possibilities you have and save another 500 bones and then make a choice.

I'd also start searching for which mediums to use for purchasing tunes and build a "wishlist" and get to know the songs while you figure out your gear.

I started on a controller and now moving to vinyl and turntables.

This is where the research comes in, cause if you decided that a controller and software was a better choice for you, you could get a setup on the go with what you have if you already have a working laptop thats suitable to support your program.

Research.

EDIT:

Go to the setup subforum and look at everyones setups and you'll get an idea of what those guys are using.

I'll post my setup once my pdxs arrive.
    DJM900||CDJ800MKII(2)||PDX 2000(2)||Yamaha HS50M(2)||Yorkville YSS2||Macbook||Traktor 2

http://soundcloud.com/ryanleomusic/

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Leo View Post
    You'll need:

2 turntables
    1 mixer
    a soundcard/software combo IE: Serato/sl box or traktor/audio dj card with respective time coded vinyl.

The way the time codes work is the record/cd transmits a frequency which runs into the soundcard which converts the digital data from the mp3 onto the frequency and send it to the mixer. This allows you to use mp3s and still use vinyl.

Start researching all the possibilities you have and save another 500 bones and then make a choice.

I'd also start searching for which mediums to use for purchasing tunes and build a "wishlist" and get to know the songs while you figure out your gear.

I started on a controller and now moving to vinyl and turntables.

This is where the research comes in, cause if you decided that a controller and software was a better choice for you, you could get a setup on the go with what you have if you already have a working laptop thats suitable to support your program.

Research.

EDIT:

Go to the setup subforum and look at everyones setups and you'll get an idea of what those guys are using.

I'll post my setup once my pdxs arrive.
    Thanks for this info. Im kind of a lone wolf in terms of no one I know really Dj's (good luck becoming one right? lol) so the internet is my only source of info. Even though I would love to start mixing as soon as possible, Ill definitely do some research as this is definitely one of those things that I cant really afford to just throw my money around. Once again thank you both for your input.

Go to...

native-instruments.com

serato.com

denondj.com

djsounds.com

ONce you have a look through those sites you'll have a better idea of whats available.

Also look on beatport.com for tune purchasing

I also use djcity.com as a record pool
    DJM900||CDJ800MKII(2)||PDX 2000(2)||Yamaha HS50M(2)||Yorkville YSS2||Macbook||Traktor 2

http://soundcloud.com/ryanleomusic/