Completely lost on this possible set up.. Help / suggestions needed thanks!
    Tech Wizard

Default Completely lost on this possible set up.. Help / suggestions needed thanks!

I’m going to try and make this as quick as possible so hopefully it’s not too long winded. I started djing with Traktor DJ-in-a-box then quickly sold that and used a S4 that was my roommates so I’ve never actually had to figure out “what mixer should I buy” or “what cords do I need?” I’ve always had really simple and just connected my laptop to a controller.

So pretty much I’m going to want to use some sort of Technic like turntable so I can do some quality scratching while using my iPad to control everything else in Traktor.. Then I would like a mixer with a quality crossfader (for the technics the iPad just doesn't seem like I'd be good enough to take advantage of the technic scratching) that allows me to cue up in my headphones and still have master output..

For what it’s worth I’m a hip hop and rnb DJ not hardly anything else (occasional house or techno beats that are usually pretty famous songs that most people can recognize/like but never really that much). I’m going to be getting an iPad soon and I’m going to get either TouchOSC or Lemur to use it with Traktor for samples and also use it as a sound pad controlling effects etc etc. Here’s where I get lost.. I was recently watching this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZlXs6nj1Ok and it seems as if hes using Technics to control some sort of computer software? I thought you had to have real vinyls though for Technics and that’s what they were actually playing..? Can anyone help me out with what hes probably playing? Also the iPad will not be a solid mixer and wouldn’t have a sufficient crossfader that could let me utilize the scratching possibilities of the Technic and also maybe has 4 volume controls because that’s what I’ll be using in traktor… What are some mixers that are simple (I don’t really need it for a sampler or anything because I’ll have the iPad for that I just want a mixer with a quality cross fader). Also the mixer will allow me to get cue’d up in my headphones while the master is still playing what I want or will I need a soundcard or something? (I’ve never had to figure stuff like this out with controllers..)

LMK what doesn’t make sense and people don’t understand and I’ll try to clarify… Sorry if this is poorly written and doesn’t make sense?
    Thanks in advance. DJC!

Tech Convert

You can use timecode vinyl to control serator or traktor providing you have the appropriate soundcards and upgrades. This allows you to basically use the turntables as a controller, yet the feeling of vinyl is maintained.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by phractured View Post
    You can use timecode vinyl to control serator or traktor providing you have the appropriate soundcards and upgrades. This allows you to basically use the turntables as a controller, yet the feeling of vinyl is maintained.
    But this means you also get the same sound with the vinyl as you would with any other controller just you get to use a vinyl to scratch instead of the smaller platter of some of the controllers?

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Cosmo View Post
    But this means you also get the same sound with the vinyl as you would with any other controller just you get to use a vinyl to scratch instead of the smaller platter of some of the controllers?
    Yes, but scratching on controllers does not feel the same as scratching on vinyl. Additionally, you can also use the tables to spin actual records rather than just timecode, so if your timecode messes up, you have a backup.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by phractured View Post
    Yes, but scratching on controllers does not feel the same as scratching on vinyl. Additionally, you can also use the tables to spin actual records rather than just timecode, so if your timecode messes up, you have a backup.
    The more research I do the more I realize maybe I should just look into getting a SCS1D + Mixer + iPad? Any thoughts on possible mixers that have nice crossfader but dont break the bank?

Would it be practical to get a audio innovate innofader anyone ever used one of those? How does it work?
    Last edited by DJ Cosmo; 12-27-2011 at 02:53 AM.