Bedroom DJs: how do you handle your wires?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Bedroom DJs: how do you handle your wires?

So, I was getting ready to make a video for the budget Traktor Scratch Pro setup that I had going, when I realized: ack, my work area looks like crap! USB cables, power cords, RCA and 1/8" cables flying every which way. So I'm just curious, how do you guys neatly route and arrange your gear and its connections?

I realize this may be slightly redundant to the "Show me your setup" thread, but I'm specifically inquiring about people who take the time to make their workspace aesthetically pleasing. Pics if possible =).

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Well, first I use a rubbermaid dresser thing to hold all the cables, power supplies and other various junks I don't use.

For cables around my table and all, once I reset everything, I'll be using velcro ties to keep everything together. I like em better than zip ties for when I want to make a change I don't have to cut and throw away.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Bread bag twisties or pipe cleaners work great for cables, and they are reusasble. Can also bind cables to your tabletop legs and whatnot with them.

Unfortunately that is something we all have to fight with is the cable monster. He is ugly.

My trick: shorter wires.

45cm (18in) or 60cm (24in) USB and power cables. Check out "A-B Male-Male 18in USB 2.0" here: http://www.pacificcable.com/More_Pag...USB-Cable.html

its tough to keep everything neat, all i use for my setup is 2 usb cables 1 power supply & 1 set of rca cables. Less is more, I would love to use my nano kontrol for live gigs but it turns into a usb cables nightmare, so I feel ur pain.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

You can get those awesome plastic tube "cable organizers" at any random shoppe.

That's what I do anyway.

As far as gigging? I have usb cables everywhere! But I do my best to organize them with wrapping etc. I've even got a few cables jacketed inside shrink tube. but this does take away from some versatility on setup.
    Monika.mhz - I do things. Also stuff.
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!
    Articles: Streamline Your Laptop for Djs(Windows)

Tech Wizard

As mentioned before, I use cables that are just as long as they need to be. I also use velcro cable wraps to tie it all up. I play out four to five nights a week, so I'm breaking my setup down and putting it up all the time.

Tech Mentor

I'm thinking I'm going to bundle all my cables together in the center and leave the ends free with some give. That way I could connect them/unconnect them easily when playing out, and it'd mean I wouldn't ever forget a cable.

Quote Originally Posted by JeRK View Post
    Bread bag twisties or pipe cleaners work great for cables, and they are reusasble. Can also bind cables to your tabletop legs and whatnot with them.

Unfortunately that is something we all have to fight with is the cable monster. He is ugly.
    +1, bread ties, garbage bag ties or whatever you want to call them. if they're not available i use zip ties (not cinched tightly of course

Jack Bastard

I would gladly take 10 years off my life if it meant I never had to mess with cabling ever again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast