Other promoters being *@!$!#
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Other promoters being *@!$!#

I've been in the process of starting up a weekly Dubstep clubnight on Fridays, I've created all the branding and the name (Thanks to JesC ;]) Dubstate, which I fucking love....

So its all good to go, we played out last night, it was just a tester as there was a party booked for the main room so we played the back room. Was pretty cool, mostly just mates but from about 12:30-2 there was around 40 people on the floor (its a small room) so considering we did NO promotion it was sic...

Now I find out some other Promoter/DJ (Known as Evil.... very fitting) has talked to the clubowner behind my back and is now trying to take the night over. Hes already posted on a few forums saying 'Dubstate Clubnight on Friday' with his promotion company as the main company running it with us listed 3rd... as well as all the DJs I organised listed on bottom of the list even though were supposed to be the main resident DJs... seeing as I organised it and did all the branding, got the drinks deals, got other people on board, got DJs together.

I'm severely fucked off! but have no idea what to do. I'm working with the club owner on another big gig on May 30th and I'm worried if I pull the night and move it to another club he will fuck me for the gig (and theres not really any other clubs big enough in Wellington to handle the gig I'm organising). I'm doing heaps of stuff (web/poster design) for the club owner pro-bono in turn for giving me free venue hire... I've got no contract for this (stupid I know) but I guess I could pull the web stuff down if needed...

/end rant

I need advice. Talking to a few other people (lawyers n such) but not really sure what to do as pulling from it could really hurt my reputation for future stuff, but letting myself get fucked over could be worse :[

Legal shit/ rights, try to talk/correspond with the other promoter, that you have a conflict.
    Ofcourse do this while the clubowner is present.

To me, the clubowner needs to back you up on this, when telling the other promoter to step back and give credit, where credit's due.

If the clubowner does not back you up on this, tell him that he just lost something good. And step back on helping on a voluntary base.
    Only work on paid contract from that point on.

Is it a public forum on which he is promoting?
    Try to set him straigth if he fails to comply, after having talked to him, together with the clubowner.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Guru

Cheers for the advice, v helpful. I think we will do exactly that!

Make up a full business plan and bring it in and say we need full ownership over this night as we created and own the brand (we have the domains for it as well), if others want to get involved they need to go through us and if he doesnt back us up we will pull it. I just dont want the clubowner to pull the plug on the May 30th gig -_-

Yeah its a public forum and the main one for DnB/Dubstep in NZ where all the major NZ DJs are part of. I've asked a forum moderator what his advice to do is and he might take it down.

chur

Goodluck man. Otherwise I might need to come over and set that promoter straight.
    ("YOU DON'T WANT TO MESS WITH MIDIAN, OR YOU'LL HAVE TO MAKE DO WITH ME AND MY L33T BCR SKILLS OF MIDI FU!" )
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)

Tekki on the way to NZ make sure you do a pit stop in East Los to pick me up, Ill have a few words with that promoter. All you have to do is show him that DubState is your gig and he needs to respect that. If he chooses not too, you need to take it up with the club owner.

DubState is yours, and thats final.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

In the event he tries to pull the may 30th gig, remind him that there are a number of international acts coming his way. It would behoove him to not ruin Los Angeles rep as I've been dropping RBG and GCs name in a pretty elite circle of stateside junglists who are also very well known and respected international acts. I also already bought my plane ticket lol.

Seriously tho, totally agree with Tekki; do any kind of negotiations with the club owner and the promoter and possibly a 4th, non-partisan party. Preferably an entertainment lawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by JesC View Post
    Tekki on the way to NZ make sure you do a pit stop in East Los to pick me up, Ill have a few words with that promoter.
    If it gets to that point, I'll be at your doorstep. Two compadres mixing it up loco style! NZ is bound to be shocked man! XD

[..]
    Hear Hear!

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JesC View Post
    Tekki on the way to NZ make sure you do a pit stop in East Los to pick me up, Ill have a few words with that promoter. All you have to do is show him that DubState is your gig and he needs to respect that. If he chooses not too, you need to take it up with the club owner.

Thats pretty much it. DubState is ours if he doesnt give us the respect we deserve we will bring out the big guns.

@ Damien: Your totally right, I think that is something that Evil Cunt doesnt know. He has no idea that I'm bringing respected internationals over and organising some massive gigs in the future. He also has no idea that I'm working with someone whos been in the DnB scene here for a long time and brought over heaps of huge internationals (Audio, Dylan, Robyn Chaos, SPL, Limewax, Gein, etc), who I plan to bring with me to the meeting :] That will be entertaining as they know each other ;D

I'm putting together a business plan today as well as getting the dubstate.co.nz website setup which will both include all these details and our plans to bring new stuff to Welly as well as show our partners, if you guys don't mind I will put you down as international contacts State and Euro - side

Cheers for all your support guys, makes a mad difference, I've been somewhat stress'n. I think all this will really show the club owner he's making a massive fuckup by siding with one guy who already has a bad rep here in Welly.

Good Luck man. Hope it all works out for the best. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by midian View Post
    [..]

I'm putting together a business plan today as well as getting the dubstate.co.nz website setup which will both include all these details and our plans to bring new stuff to Welly as well as show our partners, if you guys don't mind I will put you down as international contacts State and Euro - side
    I don't mind, abuse the f--k out of me midian.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast