Can we mod Vestax Spin and Serato DJ Intro - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by djcharles View Post
    hard coded means that the matching string i.e. the name of the device is coded in the binary. Binary editors allow you to find the string and change it. This is a trick that has been used in other settings many times before, and successfully.
    then i guess we need a binary editor for mac? i have my device, audio midi setup didn't allow me to change a name.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by audible View Post
    then i guess we need a binary editor for mac? i have my device, audio midi setup didn't allow me to change a name.
    Yes. So try this one: http://www.suavetech.com/0xed/0xed.html

What you will do is make copy of the binary file first. It should be in place like /Applications/Serato DJ Intro.app/Contents/MacOS/intro

Making the copy:
    1. Open a terminal window (found in the utilities folder)
    2. type the command:
    cp /Applications/Serato DJ Intro.app/Contents/MacOS/intro /Applications/Serato DJ Intro.app/Contents/MacOS/intro.bak

The copy is just a backup in case something does not work. Then You are ready to edit. So up the OxED application and use File->Open Path.

In the path dialog box put:

/Applications/Serato DJ Intro.app/Contents/MacOS/intro

This will open a screen with a bunch of numbers on the left (HEX -> Binary) and characters on the right. Use the search bar and search for TYPHOON. Use the edit menu to change the write mode to "overwrite".

One the right-side change "TYPHOON" to "SPINOON" (replacing the first 4 letters in TYPHOON. Then go to the left side where the numbers are that correspond with the "OON" (it will highlight them for you) and overwrite the numbers with 00. So this will make 3 new sets of 00 and the text on the right will change to \'s.

Then save and start the program with the SPIN connected. It should now be looking for SPIN instead of TYPHOON. let me know what happens.

Tech Wizard

Tried it...still says hardware disconnected
    Last edited by cyberphox; 03-14-2012 at 09:49 PM.
    2 x Technics 1200 mk2 | 2 x Pioneer CDJ-850 | Pioneer DJM-600 | Serato Scratch Live 1 | Pioneer HDJ-500 W |

Tech Convert

thanks for trying it cyberphox. any more ideas? much thanks for your help.

i suspect synthet1c was onto the real solution... serato is probably identifying devices using methods similar to vdj. so you'd need to respond with the correct vendor info in a sysex response and/or it might be looking for specific info reported from the driver directly. be interesting to try out the software using a diff controller, but i suspect they don't want that
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

couldn't midimasher lie to serato with the correct information... SysEx, vid, pid & any disparity in the midi messages..
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

not sure about vid+pid as that's driver stuff and it's just using external software for that, like loopmidi etc, or internal virtual ports on linux and mac. it could def respond with any id for a sysex message tho. not sure it *should* since i guess it's not much diff to using any software that u shouldn't but i am curious to try out serato intro...
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl

Tech Convert

anyone try midimasher? not sure how to use it for dj intro.

Tech Convert

okay. A friend of mine and I got this to work using the binary editor like I mentioned in the earlier post, and by changing the name in the Audio Midi Setup. I attached screen shots. You see that I renamed the Spin to TYPHOON so my machine thinks its a TYPHOON. In one of the shots you can see that the Spin still knows its a Spin. After doing this and changing the binary file as above. It works!

screen1.jpgscreen2.jpg

so it can only be looking at the 'name' of connected devices and nothing more cunning than that... i'm quite surprised really. good to know. it *might* also be looking at manufacturer info i guess - but those two are so close already. i'd just like to try out the software to see what it's like.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast