Where in the US?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Where in the US?

Hi everyone,

I am in need of some advice because I am planning to move to the US on March with my wife.

I am deciding where to live and I can get lots of relevant information online regarding cost of living, weather, housing etc... What I can not find is where the best music scene is!!
    I am not making the final desicion based on this but where are the best Tech House, Minimal, Techno parties in the US?? Where is the best place to be a DJ in the US? What do you think???

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by alien2k View Post
    Hi everyone,

I am in need of some advice because I am planning to move to the US on March with my wife.

I am deciding where to live and I can get lots of relevant information online regarding cost of living, weather, housing etc... What I can not find is where the best music scene is!!
    I am not making the final desicion based on this but where are the best Tech House, Minimal, Techno parties in the US?? Where is the best place to be a DJ in the US? What do you think???

Thanks!!
    NYC has a pretty good scene. L.A. Dallas is up an coming. Lots of afterhours clubs but mainly dubstep, electro-house. Visited Boston last summer and was able to find some prog house clubs. Miami is pretty good for house, club and electro. For the most part the bigger clubs are open format. Most of your Techno, House, Electro and Dubstep will be after hours type venues. Typically 18+ kids. Really crappy compared to Europe TBH.
    1 Denon DNX1600, 2 Technics SL1200MKII, 1 Pioneer DDJ SX, 1 Reloop Terminal Mix2, 1 MBP running VDJ/Traktor/Serato SL/DJ
    Soundcloud
    Vimeo
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by DJ ATX View Post
    Most of your Techno, House, Electro and Dubstep will be after hours type venues. Typically 18+ kids. Really crappy compared to Europe TBH.
    thx m8 I am more into that kind of scene... afterhour clubs with nice stuff for not many people . I know I will need to adapt a lot to the us. But still underground is my way to go. What about San Francisco?? also I have heard good things about Chicago?

Quote Originally Posted by alien2k View Post
    thx m8 I am more into that kind of scene... afterhour clubs with nice stuff for not many people . I know I will need to adapt a lot to the us. But still underground is my way to go. What about San Francisco?? also I have heard good things about Chicago?

I grew up in S.F., the scene is pretty much the same. You will find more house clubs there though. I have not been back in the past 5yrs. since I moved to Dallas, TX. However, in speaking to friends that still live there, same story goes. Much of the Electro scene are after hours clubs. A few smaller clubs here and there that will do electro/house/dubstep nights. But again those are hearsay.

Oh and just an FYI on Dallas. The Electro scene is relatively small controlled by a few promoters. If you want to spin, you will need to kiss their ass and practically do it for free. They typically book 5-6 DJs a night that have a following. Most of the times they require you to have a certain number of people through the door and hand out playing slots based on the number of people. Meaning the DJ with the most people in the door gets the prime playing spot. Its sad....
    Last edited by DJ ATX; 12-27-2011 at 01:53 PM.
    1 Denon DNX1600, 2 Technics SL1200MKII, 1 Pioneer DDJ SX, 1 Reloop Terminal Mix2, 1 MBP running VDJ/Traktor/Serato SL/DJ
    Soundcloud
    Vimeo
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by DJ ATX View Post
    I grew up in S.F., the scene is pretty much the same. You will find more house clubs there though. I have not been back in the past 5yrs. since I moved to Dallas, TX. However, in speaking to friends that still live there, same story goes. Much of the Electro scene are after hours clubs. A few smaller clubs here and there that will do electro/house/dubstep nights. But again those are hearsay.
    Great info thanks a lot.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

On the subject of Dallas is there any decent techno/tech house anywhere? I don't get out very much anymore because I'm old and can't really get into the more popular club stuff.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Miami is always bumpin good vibes

Quote Originally Posted by Otacon View Post
    Miami is always bumpin good vibes
    ^^

Born and raised in Miami and have no plans of living anywhere else! I love this city.

NYC is pretty awesome too, but a little more expensive as far as cost of living, compared to Miami.

you will find a lot of chicago style straight house, some tech house, electro, dub, and club house, some prog. Most bars are very into house, carl cox, steve lawler, DJ sneak, etc kinda stuff here. Although Umek was recently here too if you are into him.

Toronto in Canada has really good teach house but alas not the states.

NYC also has a wealth of house, both tech and other. It also have a very live DnB scene from what I've seen and been to.

Miami has a decent trance scene, club house, latin house.

SF has some experimental going on as well as typical club house scene. I don't know as much about this scene but will be moving here soon.
    I've gone to a lot of parties everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by papo218 View Post
    ^^

Born and raised in Miami and have no plans of living anywhere else! I love this city.

NYC is pretty awesome too, but a little more expensive as far as cost of living, compared to Miami.
    I'm still new to south florida and miami is pretty sweet, I would say better than NYC for music.

I am a big fan of the techno loft at space. Are there any other places with a dedicated techno/tech house scene?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast