Buying budget studio monitors
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Buying budget studio monitors

At least i think i am, im buying monitors to dj with since im ordering my gear this week which i am not positive what i am getting yet. But after searching these forums i havent found info on good budget monitors. im looking to spend $150max for a pair, preferably around $100... i know this is on sale today http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...ctive-monitors but if i can i would like to go a bit cheaper..any input from the monitor geniuses?!?!

Better off buying used on craigslist if you are near a city, it's worth a shot at least.

Those maudio ones are so-so and a decent deal, I've used them before but I wouldn't buy them for DJing. Any monitors you buy new for $100 a pair is going to be pretty bad. My friend got some $99 m-audio monitors and they are a joke. But really you don't need studio monitors for DJing and on a budget might be better off looking at some other speakers.

I would much rather use a decent 2.1 computer speaker set with a sub for DJing than budget monitors. The Klipsch 2.1 speakers have some pretty good sub bass and sound and I would rather use these any day than budget 4" or 5" monitors.

$89 shipped http://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-ProM...item2eba3bd403

You don't need ultra accurate and flat monitors for DJing, in fact I wouldn't want them. That's why I got a sub for my KRKs which I crank up on my DJ setup and before that I used a single 12" powered behringer PA speaker for a little while.
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 12-27-2011 at 06:48 PM.

Tech Wizard

Yeah thats what i wasnt sure about, i thought maybe computer speakers are a better idea. Thanks a ton for the input! Are the klipsch speakers the best option for that price range? i know nothing about computer speakers.. just headphones and equipment lol
    Last edited by dj pFunk; 12-27-2011 at 07:14 PM.

You dont have to have studio monitors...some decent bookshelf speakers and a stereo reciever have done me well for the past 20 years...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Tech Wizard

yes true, actually thinking about it i have speakers from a home theater system, no idea how i would use them on a computer though haha... i bet they would sound nice

Tech Wizard

Do you still have the whole home theater setup? Speakers and receiver at least? if you do can you take some pictures of the connections on the receiver or post the make and model ( actually both)? You may have all you need to do what you want. I am using an old Technics SA-GX190 with one bad output channel and my CPU speakers plugged into it as my monitors and house speakers at the moment. I usually wear headphones when I am mixing so they are really for when I am multitasking and wanting to hear or wokr on music at the same time. I am pondering upgrading back to a pair of bookshelf speakers and or build my own in the future.
    MMM Making Music With Food. Yep! Taste good and sound good too!

BX5A's are pretty decent, especially at that price. Worth picking up new for 150 (I bought mine for 300 bucks when they came out :/ ). Yes, I'll use them to dj and mess around with from time to time, and have no problems with them. They won't knock your socks off, and if you really drive them they can start to sound like mud. Some of this may be interface specific, as I'm finding out quickly the sound card in my DX has a lot more oomph than the T1 and Zero4.
    Cheers!
    | 13" rMBP | KORG ZERO4 | NOVATION TWITCH | 2 X CDJ-200 | KONTROL X1 |

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by chefmix View Post
    Do you still have the whole home theater setup? Speakers and receiver at least? if you do can you take some pictures of the connections on the receiver or post the make and model ( actually both)? You may have all you need to do what you want. I am using an old Technics SA-GX190 with one bad output channel and my CPU speakers plugged into it as my monitors and house speakers at the moment. I usually wear headphones when I am mixing so they are really for when I am multitasking and wanting to hear or wokr on music at the same time. I am pondering upgrading back to a pair of bookshelf speakers and or build my own in the future.
    I will be uploading pics of the tower speakers and the reciever and whatnot in a few minutes for you

Tech Wizard

Here are the pics! The speakers are just older tower speakers, couldnt find them i think someone moved them, but jut standard tower speakers. the model # of the speaker is JVC RX-718V. let me know if you need anything else!

Attachment 7015

Attachment 7016

Attachment 7017

Attachment 7018

Tech Wizard

Just plug the rca out from your soundcard to the cd connection, it should be a standard line-in. or even just an 1/8" to rca from your computer to your receiver, if you're just listening.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast