Channel balance issue
    Tech Student

Default Channel balance issue

Hi, I have a strange problem with my turntable setup - my left channel sounds like it has a lowpass filter on it, this happens on both decks and on every record.
    The volume is pretty much balanced, but one channel just lacks treble.
    This does not happen when I listen through headphones plugged into the mixer.
    My setup is 2x1200 Mk2, Ortofon Concordes, Stanton SMX-401
    Is this a problem with the mixer outputs?
    Thanks!

Tech Mentor

SME headshelll or cart? Dirty terminals, happens all the time in nightclubs, blast clean air down there or or twist very carefully dry twisted hard paper not tissue paper in the socket..g at new ones?

Edit hmmmm_ That doesnt explain the clean sound in the phones... Looks like its time to send the mixer away for repair or to be looking at new ones
    Last edited by U-31; 12-28-2011 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by qomphort View Post
    Hi, I have a strange problem with my turntable setup - my left channel sounds like it has a lowpass filter on it, this happens on both decks and on every record.
    The volume is pretty much balanced, but one channel just lacks treble.
    This does not happen when I listen through headphones plugged into the mixer.
    My setup is 2x1200 Mk2, Ortofon Concordes, Stanton SMX-401
    Is this a problem with the mixer outputs?
    Thanks!
    If the music sounds fine in your headphones, Im betting your mixer's line faders need to be cleaned or replaced.
    Technics 1200 MK2s - Vestax PMC06 - NI Kontrol S2 - Traktor - Akai APC40 - Ableton Live 8

Tech Student

Thanks for your suggestions.
    I tried cleaning the faders, but that didn't help. Could it be that both faders just went out like that and caused the issue? I'm thinking it has something to do with the master output section.
    After doing some tests today I actually think that the left channel carries all the bass/low-mid while the right has all the mid/treble.
    So weird
    I've checked everything, so I guess the mixer just went bad...

Tech Mentor

Has this always been an issue, or just in recent memory?

Have you moved your kit around recently?

A number of monitors have settings 'round the back. Perhaps something got jostled and these settings have changed...

Tech Mentor

Just a thought before you condemn the mixer - As above mentions,if they aint adjustable active monitors, test the speakers on a hifi or something.. I've blown out individual drivers in speaker cabs while arseing around

Tech Student

Alright, thanks for the input everybody, turned out the tweeter on the left monitor is really weak, which I never noticed before. Barely plays. Thinking of fixing/replacing. Any thoughts on this matter appreciated!

Tech Mentor

now, before condemning the drivers you need to eliminate the crossovers inside the speaker cab if fitted..

Simply bypass the cable from your amp directly to the tweets terminal very breifly. If it sounds loud and bright its your cross if its still flat and quiet its your tweet

For the tweets find the driver serial number and model and google, they are usually generic OEM with different coloured housings.
    You go off the size of the holes they mount in.
    The Tweets with silver casings for my TDLs were no longer available but black Rega ones where exactly the same model.
    I coulda been really anal and swapped the plastics over so they looked stock, but i fitted them in their black Rega cases and they fitted perfect and look sweet

2 way internal crossovers built on to bi wire and single wire terminal plates are freely available on Ebay
    Last edited by U-31; 12-30-2011 at 03:55 AM.

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by U-31 View Post
    2 way internal crossovers built on to bi wire and single wire terminal plates are freely available on Ebay
    Thanks, it is the crossover, now I can't find a suitable replacement, I believe the crossover point is at 2kHz, seems there are none on ebay.
    Does it make sense to replace both in this case? So the speakers are balanced properly? Maybe it's easier to try and replace capacitors on the board or something?

Tech Mentor

For ease i'd just replace the pair of the crossovers entirely, for balance as you point out, unless of course you are competent with electronics a soldering iron & de soldering ribbon etc...