Who learned to mix on controllers?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Who learned to mix on controllers?

On the interwebs, occasionally i read something to the effect of
    i don't know anyone who didn't learn to mix on turntables (or cdjs).
    but there must be djs out there (whose name i may recognize) who acquired their skills without touching vinyl or cdjs! can you name any djs who learned their trade on controllers?

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Me

The main factor is how long have they been mixing and how many fucks they gave about following the "booth standards"
    Last edited by padi_04; 12-29-2011 at 02:18 AM.

i learned on a mouse.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    The main factor is how long have they been mixing and how many fucks they gave about following the "booth standards"
    booth standards, yeah. i mean, i realize that once you leave the bedroom, you may not be able to completely avoid turntables or cdjs anymore. but this argument that the only way to learn to beatmatch and to get "good" at mixing is by going the turntables (or, maaaybe, cdjs) route basically has to be bs. which is why i'm wondering which famous djs learned on controllers. (doesn't have to be dj mag top 100 "famous" but i am asking about pros not recreational djs.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jester.NZ View Post
    i learned on a mouse.
    Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    Me
    ok, cool

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Well, i've been spinning since '05, had a few odd looks from promoters but nothing preventing me to play and believe me when I say booths were filled with traditionalists back then.

Tech Mentor

Right here. I started screwing around with a copy of Ableton Live that was still active on a secondhand Macbook Pro I bought. That lead to the first of a series of controllers that led me to an S4, which lead to me buying turntables to use its DVS capabilities, and now I'm replacing the S4 with a proper club mixer. So in essence I'm moving reverse kinda.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by CryderSteez View Post
    Right here. I started screwing around with a copy of Ableton Live that was still active on a secondhand Macbook Pro I bought. That lead to the first of a series of controllers that led me to an S4, which lead to me buying turntables to use its DVS capabilities, and now I'm replacing the S4 with a proper club mixer. So in essence I'm moving reverse kinda.
    What that guy said. Same here.... APC40 to S4 to Technics.

Tech Convert

I learned to mix on a controller, now I'm using CD players.

I think that everyone should learn how to DJ with CD players or TTs before they move up to a controller. Teaching new DJs how to DJ without the aid of waveforms, sync and whatnot really enforces good fundamentals. It would also get rid of all these noobs asking why sync isn't working when their beatgrid is out of phase by 180 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by rgtb View Post
    ...but this argument that the only way to learn to beatmatch and to get "good" at mixing is by going the turntables (or, maaaybe, cdjs) route basically has to be bs.
    All you have to do is ask yourself this question....If you get a gig, and at said gig your computer shits, and all that's left is two cdj1000mk3's and 2 tech1200's, will you be able to put tracks together? Or are you canceling the gig?

You can get plenty good at mixing on a medium other than cd's and vinyl, but that doesn't mean it isn't a skill that you should avoid learning. Honestly it's far more rewarding to know your tracks, and mix them minus loops and quantization, than it is to have prepared cue points/loops and visual cues out the yin yang. And if you don't use sync and 'beatmatch' tracks in Traktor and think that it automatically translates into being able to do the same with cdj's or tt's you are seriously mistaken. Will it help? Sure it will. Will it immediately translate, absolutely not. Quantized, beat gridded tracks that you match bpm's exactly and nudge into phase is NOT beatmatching.
    Cheers!
    | 13" rMBP | KORG ZERO4 | NOVATION TWITCH | 2 X CDJ-200 | KONTROL X1 |

Quote Originally Posted by atomisk View Post
    i learned to mix on a controller, now i'm using cd players.

I think that everyone should learn how to dj with cd players or tts before they move up to a controller. Teaching new djs how to dj without the aid of waveforms, sync and whatnot really enforces good fundamentals. It would also get rid of all these noobs asking why sync isn't working when their beatgrid is out of phase by 180 degrees.
    qft.

It is certainly no crime to start on a controller, but I think you absolutely have to learn at some point how to match vinyls/cd's. I started backwards, but immediately picked up cdj's and tt's as soon as I could to learn the fundamentals of a craft that we all revere. There's an artistry there, that oozes hard work and dedication, and every 'DJ' at some point needs to see/learn this.
    Cheers!
    | 13" rMBP | KORG ZERO4 | NOVATION TWITCH | 2 X CDJ-200 | KONTROL X1 |

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast