Confused about the appeal of the midifighter
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Confused about the appeal of the midifighter

Why do people like this thing so much? I have a trigger finger and it does more for less cost... Why does everyone like the midifighter so much? It's always seemed like such a gimmick to me and I'm curious about the appeal to the people who own them.

Tech Mentor

Because video games are cool! I don't have one but I do think they're neat-o.

because of noobs that think of their image first and function second, and because the buttons are easier to press in combination for effects and have a faster action for cues and such, they also have led feedback making them a better candidate for mapping lots of shift functions into them as you can see the shift so don't have to remember what setting your in.

The only advantage the trigger finger, mpd etc... have is aftertouch, but it really isn't that good on low end controllers without phat pads and corks inbetween. although the lpd 8 would be a contender if it had a metal case, 16 pads, better quality knobs, and you could overide the stupid pads led off message built into the hardware
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Moderator of Silly Walks Citizen_Insane's Avatar

Honestly, I like mine because it's an open source project, helps support this community; also arcade buttons are amazingly responsive (I have tried the trigger finger, it's just not the same... and with traktor you don't really need the velocity sensitivity, just the on/off). Also build quality and service you get with the midi fighters is worth shelling out that bit extra imo.

Yeah they look cool and flashy and whatnot.... but they're also quite functional... I'm basically rehashing what synthet1c said lol.
    Traktor Pro, VCM 600, Custom Midi Fighter, Presonus Firebox, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    http://soundcloud.com/citizen_insane/
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    All these subgenre's are like the grandchildren of disco with dubstep and D&B being the bad kids that smoke cigarettes and are in and out of jail.

Tech Mentor

Sometimes things are designed with form over function, or vice versa-
    I dont have a midifighter myself, but what i can see of them they fuse form AND function beautifully...

And as mentioned above the open source and community surrounding them are Fuckin' COOL

I think they look like utter shit, and I'd never have one in my booth or studio. Ever.

The closest thing to an appeal would be supporting the DJTT community. And since they veto'd the VIP forum membership thing, I'm down to waiting for the store to stock something I actually want and not cost significantly more than local shops.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    I think they look like utter shit, and I'd never have one in my booth or studio. Ever.
    Don't judge a book by it's cover.

Arcade buttons have an surprisingly tactile touch when it come to music. I don't have a midi fighter but modding arcade buttons into my VCI was the best thing i ever did.

Anyway, refusing one over looks alone seems a little shallow. Arcade buttons surprisingly have a great musical feel for djing
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Quote Originally Posted by Atomisk View Post
    Why do people like this thing so much? I have a trigger finger and it does more for less cost... Why does everyone like the midifighter so much? It's always seemed like such a gimmick to me and I'm curious about the appeal to the people who own them.
    I wonder about this every time the midi fighter gets mentioned on these boards. I don't get it at all.
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

Tech Mentor

Can you spell 'gimmick'?

I'd like one, but just for farting about on in the house. Not sure I'd trust it in a live environment going by the look of it. Could prove to be flimsy build with the detachable buttons etc.... just kinda feels like there's too much that could go wrong with it.

Of course, I could be miles off.
    Surrey PA Hire

Quote Originally Posted by VanGogo View Post
    Banger used to mean a hot track. Now it means link sausage.

Jack Bastard

I dunno, they hold no appeal for me but from what I've seen they seem pretty rock solid.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast