VCI-400 vs S4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VCI-400 vs S4

Tech Convert

Default VCI-400 vs S4

VCI-400 or a S4.

Have some one here on this forum try both of them and can tell which one is best?

What i like on VCI-400 its the sound out ports. And the mic inport a very good also.

V.S

Jack Bastard

I hate to be that guy but this has been discussed already, basically if you need scratch capability you need the S4, otherwise the VCI400 outclasses it in pretty much all areas.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Bastard View Post
    I hate to be that guy but this has been discussed already, basically if you need scratch capability you need the S4, otherwise the VCI400 outclasses it in pretty much all areas.
    Perhaps. But I haven't seen any thorough account of how good or bad the VCIs jogs are - have you tried it, or got a linky?

It's a fact that S4's jogs use HID and the VCI uses MIDI, but in principle there shouldn't be much of a difference because of the protocol - my understanding is that MIDI should have the bandwidth to send enough jog turn messages to be very accurate, given that the sample rate of the jog wheel is high enough, and given that the software's implementation of MIDI jog control doesn't suck. (7-bit vs. 14-bit etc. doesn't matter in the case of jogs, since they only send single-bit control messages about the rotation, not parameter ranges like faders or knobs.)

Case in point, the VCI-100 1.4 - with the added resolution of the firmware upgrade, the jogs are actually very accurate for a controller, but the trick is that the jog acceleration has to be turned off in Traktor mappings to get a true 1:1 feel. Set up like that, they are very good, much closer to CDJ standards. Unfortunately I've never got my hands on an S4 so I can't say how they compare, but obviously NI have all necessary settings right for the S4 out of the box, so there's no possibility of a bad mapping screwing up the jog feel.

If the VCI-400 has equal or better jog resolution compared to the VCI-100 1.4, I'd be much more worried about the resolution of the pitch faders - there are reports from people in the VCI-400 thread that they only seem to work at 7-bit resolution in Traktor, and that's not good at all.
    Last edited by DJQA; 12-30-2011 at 01:51 PM.

Where's the VCi 400 post gone? Can't find it...

I had an S4 the day they came out - hated it and sold it pretty quick, but lots of people on here love them.

I've just ordered a 400 and can't wait for it to turn up - it looks perfect - if you read the Digital Dj Tips review, Phil reckons they're the best jogs around - whether they map great to traktor is another thing but for what I need they'll be fine.

I had a VCI 100 with 1.4 firmware and they were good and I had a VCI 300 and in Itch they were amazing - ok in Traktor as well.

But if you want to scratch get some turntables
    SC | MC

Tech Mentor

Nicky, please report back on the jogs and pitch faders when you get it. My angle to this is more that I'm looking for the perfect CDJ replacement, so not for much scratching, but great jog response is always worth having.

Will do mate, won't be here till 3rd Jan because of holidays though
    SC | MC

Jack Bastard

The jogs on the 400 are perfectly responsive for most purposes. You probably wouldn't win a DMC competition with them but you wouldn't on the S4 either. If you scratch what the hell are doing with a controller?

Tech Convert

I'm not a scratch dj. I play house, techno and dubstep. I have no store in my area that sells them. So i can not try both. I have a vci-100 and 2x CDJ-900 and DJM-700. I will sell everything and buy either a s4 or VCI-400

Tech Wizard

Reloop Jockey 3 has a higher quality and better than the jog wheel VCI400

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Azu View Post
    Reloop Jockey 3 has a higher quality and better than the jog wheel VCI400
    how do you know that?
    vci-400, launchpad, ipad/lemur, electribe mx-1, edirol pcr-500, kaoss pad3, maya-44 usb, pc core 2 duo 2.3Ghz, 4 RAM, windows 7 ultimate 64bit

own a vci-400? - join our facebook group and share your experience and knowledge. https://www.facebook.com/groups/vci400/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast