Software Freezing On Loud Volumes! (Urgent)
    Tech Mentor

Default Software Freezing On Loud Volumes! (Urgent)

Last night I was at my gig and VDJ 7 froze up twice. The software just froze along with the audio cutting out. I had to close VDJ and then reopen in it. It fixed the problem but then 10 minutes later it happened again. After that I just turned out the volume half way and making sure it didn't hit the red or orange. And had to keep it that way the rest of the night. The problem really had to do with the volume levels. But before all of this I was having problems with the bass distorting when there was lots of bass on points of a song. Once this happened I just turned off my wifi and the problem went away. I do have lag when searching or loading a song in. I have the same gig tonight so I really need this fixed or I'm really risking losing my job as the house club DJ.

So far I've used DPC latency checker and I had it in the red so I disabled the internet and fax modems/ethernet. Then I had yellow so I went in and I turned of the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery and now I'm in all green below 500 us. I had VDJ open with my hard drive connected just like I would at a gig except without the VMS4 and timecodes because those are still at the club because I'll be going back tonight. So do you think it will happen again and what else can I do to stop this from happening?

Also what else can I disable in the device manager? This is what I have disabled so far:

Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery
    Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter
    Broadcom NetLink (TM) Fast Ethernet
    HDAUDIO Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP

P.S. I need this figured out in the next 37 minutes

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Could you try it without using the external HDD

Copy some tracks to your internal .. perhaps its the drive causing the problem (I have had external HDD issues with Ableton and copying locally helped).

Turn off page file on all drives.

Could you increase your latency perhaps a little ?

If its only happening when you are hitting high volumes sound like something in the software is the problem though, not the machine, I don't know if VDJ has any limiters or anything to help with that.

You shouldn't need to start disabling devices to get software to work - sounds super dodgy :eek:

** get a mac **
    Last edited by deevey; 12-30-2011 at 05:35 PM.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    Could you try it without using the external HDD

Copy some tracks to your internal .. perhaps its the drive causing the problem (I have had external HDD issues with Ableton and copying locally helped).

Turn off page file on all drives.

Could you increase your latency perhaps a little ?

If its only happening when you are hitting high volumes sound like something in the software is the problem though, not the machine, I don't know if VDJ has any limiters or anything to help with that.

You shouldn't need to start disabling devices to get software to work - sounds super dodgy :eek:

** get a mac **
    Hmm well like I said it happened based on sound levels so I don't think the hard drive could have been the problem. I'm not sure about the limiters either. Lots of people say that you should disable devices to reduce lag and it really helped.

By the way I have a mac and it just created soo many more problems in VDJ!