Whole Phrase Looping/Beatjumping with Traktor

Default Whole Phrase Looping/Beatjumping with Traktor

Hey everyone,
    I've spent hours scouring my traktor prefs and forums trying to find an answer to what should be a very simple problem to solve. I'm guessing the answer is going to be a flat out "Not possible" or it will be so simple i will have to concede to the shame of not figuring it out! Anyway here it is...

All i want to do is be able to perform a beatjump or set my loop lengths to a whole phrase length (ie:16 bars) Is there either some way to make the upper limit 64 beats or make these parameters work on bars as opposed to beats?

The only work-around i can think of is to change all my bpm settings to half their original tempo so that 32 beats becomes 64. This is pretty undesirable though, as i don't want to have to calculate everything i do like fx parameters by half. That is a royal pain in the arse...

Any help would be greatly received!
    Thanks in advance

Tech Mentor

Use the loop size x2 function, it's not limited to 32 beats.

not possible with traktor itself.

pretty sure bomes or other midi translators can do it by sending out more than one midi msg on a button press. delayed some ms so you press the button and it jumps 2x 32..
    Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

Quote Originally Posted by DJQA View Post
    Use the loop size x2 function...
    Sorry to be a dumbass, where do i find this parameter?

midi mapping set to "increase" instead of direct + value

so forget my post
    Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

Tech Mentor

I'm sorry, I wrote the earlier reply when I wasn't at my DJ PC. It seems that the loop size x2 also only goes up to 32 (it's only available via MIDI). That's odd, I could have sworn I've used it for extra long loops... maybe it was on Traktor Pro 2 then (I've gone back to 1.2.7).

Thanks for the replies everyone , i did try and use the midi mapping with the parameter value set to inc. but to no avail. With the loop sizing it just moved up to 32 and then wouldn't increase further. With the beatjump it didn't seem to be an option at all, i was only able to set it to one value.

@DJDQ, i'm still curious, if the loop size x2 is only mappable via midi, under which section can i find the parameter in the controller management panel?

I did come up with a slightly easier workaround for the beatjump. You can set one midi button to /2bpm (direct) and then the same button to x2bpm (direct) but with the button inverted. This way the bpm is adjusted for your whole phrase beatjump only while you are holding the button down. Then you can simply set two buttons to the right of the first one to beatjump backward and forward 32 beats respectively, and they will now perform 64 beat movements.

If anyone can think of an easier mapping please do let me know, i'd be interested to hear...
    Last edited by Stereo:Type; 01-01-2012 at 08:57 AM.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Stereo:Type View Post
    @DJDQ, i'm still curious, if the loop size x2 is only mappable via midi, under which section can i find the parameter in the controller management panel?
    I looked at my mapping now, and while x2 is the practical effect it gives, the function is actually Loop size - Increase. So that won't help, sorry.

However, there's one other way I can think of to achieve this. Make a 32-beat loop, and then from the Move panel (in Deck Advanced controls), move the Loop Out marker out by another 32 beats (or by Loop), that way you DO get 64, 128, etc. beats in the loop. A good question is whether this is MIDI mappable, I didn't find it with a quick look.

Edit: You can map that to MIDI, but it needs several commands in a row:
    1. Cue/Loop Move Mode, set to value 'Loop Out'
    2. Cue/Loop Move Size, set to value 'Loop'
    3. Cue/Loop Move, Increase

That way you get a true loop x2 effect, up to the whole track length. It needs to be mapped separately for all decks. Of course, if you never touch the Move Mode or Move Size, you can just map Cue/Loop Move in Increase mode.
    Last edited by DJQA; 01-01-2012 at 10:40 AM.