changing midi channel on 1 controller with another controller
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default changing midi channel on 1 controller with another controller

Hi, hope my long title makes sense. I was looking around last night trying to figure this out, hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

so say i have two midi controllers, A and B. A is a eks xp-5, and B is a korg nanokontrol.

i would like to be able to change the midi channel of A from 1 to 2 by pressing one of the buttons on the B. so if the button light is off on B, A is channel 1 and if the button light is on, A is channel 2.

i think bomes can do it and looked around their forums and found some threads about changing the channel of a midi device with the press of a QWERTY key, so i think i just have to change that code around a little to make the setup i want BUT...

I forgot or my brain is farting out on me or both, and don't know what needs to be linked to what in order for me to use both controllers in this fashion. will i only need Bomes and a virtual midi cable? and then am i selecting both the controllers and the midi cable in my software?

I'm trying to get back into deckadance, and in order for me to use my XP-5 as a single controller, I need to be able to change the channels, as in DD the xp-5 is setup so that in dual mode, one xp-5 controls deck 1 with channel 1 and one xp-5 controls deck 2 with channel 2.

i have successfully done this with only the xp-5 and the eks midi agent but that required me to use a button on the xp-5 as a shift modifier and with no lights on the xp-5 and no visual indication in the software, i had to make it a push and hold to change channels.

thanks
    We don't believe in the star system. We want the focus to be on the music. If we have to create an image, it must be an artificial image. That combination hides our physicality and also shows our view of the star system. It is not a compromise-daftpunk

bump, where is bento when we need him

Well... theres a new version of Bomes comming out thats better suited to this task(1.7). Its not very far away and im not allowed to talk about the specific details yet soo just wait a little bit longer and i can give you an answer

Using 1.6 you would have have to do a very pain in the butt workaround which involves using midi ox to change the channel of one of the messages then merge the midi data from both midi controllers into a single midi pipe. Then this single midi pipe then going into Bomes, the midi controllers will appear to bomes to be on different midi channels which would enable you do use a midi controller to effect what another midi controller is doing. Then to get feedback to the device you have to send the midi data out on different channels which are once again processed by midi ox to change them back to the channels that the midi controllers nativly reveive their midi feedback on.

Basicly it turns into a massive midi juggling game that will leave your head sore for hours
    Last edited by BentoSan; 03-31-2009 at 09:40 AM.

thanks bentosan, looks like i might be waiting on the newer version to try using a controller to change the channel of the other controller. that workaround made my head sore just reading it

so perhaps i need to try to emulate the thread i found on bomes:
    http://www.bome.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2117

so that i could use QWERTY keyboard keys to change the channel. instead of odds and evens like the guy in the thread wanted i just want say #1 to set the controller on channel 1 and for #2 to set the controller on channel 2. i tried setting it up according to the instructions that florian gave but my setup wasn't working. for the incoming and outgoing of translator 3, where is says "MIDI pp qq rr" do i type all that into the incoming and outgoing midi space?

thanks again for the help bentosan!

use use "pp qq rr" for the input and the output - so yes, type all that just leave out the MIDI part

thanks. so i think i have everything setup correctly according to the thread but in the bomes logs i don't get keystroke info logged and it doesn't change anything in the log when i switch the numbers.

back to trying to figure this out.

ok, i found out that the numbers on the far right side of the keyboard aren't shown in the log while the rest of the keyboard is.
    We don't believe in the star system. We want the focus to be on the music. If we have to create an image, it must be an artificial image. That combination hides our physicality and also shows our view of the star system. It is not a compromise-daftpunk

Try running your midi controller though it might be changing the channel but the keystokes just arnt showing up in the log. Run your midi controller though it and watch the outputs in the log as you change the channel using the keyboard and fire off some midi notes on your midi controller.

think i am figuring it out now, thanks. now i need to find some keys that aren't being used by deckadance on the keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by charo View Post
    ok, i found out that the numbers on the far right side of the keyboard aren't shown in the log while the rest of the keyboard is.
    try turning numlock on/off and see if that makes a difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast