LPD8 mapping for Sample Decks On Traktor 2
    Tech Student

Default LPD8 mapping for Sample Decks On Traktor 2

i'm not sure if i posted it in the right place:

Hi!
    i've been brainstorming for quite a while now of how to get my DigitalJockey2 And My Lpd8 to play sample decks to finally make my smooth transfer to traktor 2. and I think I've come up with the idea, i've yet to have implemented it and i wanted to share my thoughts on it and ask you professional midi mappers about your opppinion weather this is possible or not:

the priniciple of the pads is that the Lower function pads act like shift keys, you should press the function key from the bottom row with the slot you want it to effect on the top row. (example: press:mute\unmute + Slot 3 will mute on unmute that slot)
    the knobs control volume and filter
    and the bottom right pad is supposed to be allow you to devide the sample length if moving the correspinding filter knob when the pad is pressed

what do you think, is it good? is it possible?
    waiting for your thoughts on it.

Tech Mentor

Hi! I think this mapping is quite relevant except for knobs (I'll explain it later on). All you'll have to do is define the bottom row as a modifier and then define four different midi command for the top button with Mx=1 as a condition or Mx=0 for the primary command.

For the knobs, it's a bit tricky, and I think it's not really relevant...
    First : CC and Pad mode switching works only for Pads, not for knobs, and secondly knobs have a "state" position and have some real annoying issues on this model (soft takeover doesn't realy work and knobs are realy short).

If I have to improve your mapping, I'll map slot volume for Deck C on top row, slot volume for Deck D on bottom row and use pads from another bank to map filter Up/Down.

If you want to use knobs anyway for both filter and volume, I might have a solution, but it's not fully satisfying. Hope it helps
    Just friday @ soundcloud| Samurai.fm | facebook
    Setup : Dual booted Alienware M11X : Ubuntu Studio : Mixxx 1.11 + ubuntustudio/Windows 7:Traktor pro 2+Reason
    Custom Mappings for this devices : Xone K2, Xone DB2, Technics mk2, Akai Ldp8, Midifighter Classic, Korg Nanokontrol 2, American Audio VMS4, Axiom 25, Kaossilator Pro

i agree with JustFriday. it's best to leave the pots to do one thing each.

also when u switch between PAD and CC mode the lpd8 doesn't send out any midi message, so u can't even set/reset some modifier in traktor to change what the pots are doing.

plus personally while i quite like layers (in their place) i really don't like them on pots and hate soft takeover.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Tech Student

hey, thanks for answaring.
    I totally forgot that changing between pad and cc doesnt affect the knobs.
    well, i guess filtering each sample is too much to ask from the lpd...
    but how about having a pad act as a shift command for the filter, each knob will be assigned to the corresponding *slot volume* and will acivate *filter* when the *modifing pad* is pressed, using soft takeover, of course...

two more quesions:
    you said something about the knobs being problematic, i've never had a problem with them, do you mind explaining their issues?

for the pad programming will i need to use 4 modifies or is there an easier way to use less mods?

Last question: justFriday, i saw you've posted a mapping including leds working - there was a problm doing that in traktor 1 without a midi signal delay software. how did you manage to beat that issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Staticdyn View Post
    for the pad programming will i need to use 4 modifies or is there an easier way to use less mods?
    u can use one modifier that gets set to 4 diff values (5 including 0)

there was a problm doing that in traktor 1 without a midi signal delay software. how did you manage to beat that issue?
    u just need to send an ON message (if the led should be on) on pad release via an inverted command - there was never any need for a delay. the delay trick i think was to send back the ON message a certain time after u press it - but that assumes u press and release within a certain amount of time i guess.

the issue is just that by default the lpd8 *always* turns a pad led off (regardless of any midi feedback) when u release it

my midimasher has builtin support to do that for the lpd8 - but u should be able to do the same just in traktor.

there is another issue with led feedback on the lpd8 - which is that when u flip between PAD and CC modes the leds will light up the same as the last time u were in that mode regardless of any midi feedback it received since u changed mode. but there's no way around that one afaik.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Tech Mentor

Concerning modfiers about pass, Zestoi answer's was really relevant... About the lights, Everything is relevant too (I didn't Even thought about those inverted message...thanks for the tip!)
    You can also trick the ldp8 by using general outputs (deck monitor afl, as an exemple) and using the modifier slot state(0:empty,1:load,2lay),so you can have lights and avoid the latest bug zestoi talked about.

About a modifier acting on knobs : why not.... But in this case, I find more relevant to use them in relative mode, without acceleration but at a very high rating so you can turn both values entirely in one knob turn. I find this solution better than soft takeover afaic...
    Hope it helps...
    Just friday @ soundcloud| Samurai.fm | facebook
    Setup : Dual booted Alienware M11X : Ubuntu Studio : Mixxx 1.11 + ubuntustudio/Windows 7:Traktor pro 2+Reason
    Custom Mappings for this devices : Xone K2, Xone DB2, Technics mk2, Akai Ldp8, Midifighter Classic, Korg Nanokontrol 2, American Audio VMS4, Axiom 25, Kaossilator Pro