Speaker Opinions (Yamaha vs QSC)

Default Speaker Opinions (Yamaha vs QSC)

I have been starting to look into getting a pair of active PA speakers to use at home instead of my stereo and for using at small house parties (usually under 50 people).

Earlier this week I dropped into my local music shop to chat with the guys there about their opinions and it was recommended that I spend the extra cash to go with something high end from the beginning. Unfortunately they're a small shop and don't have a huge selection so I can't try anything before ordering it in.

The two systems they were suggesting were the QSC K series, and the Yamaha DSR series because of their build quality and warmth of sound.

I don't have the money right now to be buying a sub to go with them, and am not sure if I even need one for my intended use.

What I'm wondering is if anybody has any opinion on which brand to go with, and if you think something like the k12 from QSC would put out enough low end to be a good listening experience. Most reviews I have found have either been by people using them for bands, or DJs that also were using a sub as well.

I am open to other ideas as well, but would like to keep things under $2000 (canadian) to start out with.

$2000 is a lot... I spent about $1000 on two passive speakers + amp + sub and it works a treat for house parties.

I got all my stuff on ebay as well.

Biggest suggestion - look around if you can
    “Getting information off the Internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant." Mitchell Kapor
    Setup: TP2 - Vestax Typhoon - Korg NanoPad - Windows 7 x64 - Sony Vaio (Deceased) - Acer Aspire Timeline.
    House Parties - 2x12" Titan Audio PA's, 1xBehringer B1500D Sub

Looking around isn't much of an option where I am. I could order online from Axe Music or Long & McQuade but I would rather support my local store since my town is very community driven and I like to keep my business local if I can.
    It would also be a huge pain in the butt if I have a warranty issue to be shipping PA speakers back to an online retailer.

I looked into getting passive speakers and an amp last night which would be a cheaper option by a few hundred dollars. I guess I don't really know what other advantage there is to going passive other than the speakers being cheaper. It seems that going with passive ones limits my selection a little more since pretty much everything QSC does is powered.

Tech Mentor

There are going to be a varity of opinions on powered vs passive.

A passive system in the long run will cost you less than an active system.

But with a passive system you have to make sure that your amp is good for your speakers. Think of it this way...When you buy a car you get the frame and the engine. This would be similar to an active system. With a Passive system its like buying the frame of your car...then trying to find an engine for it that works well.

With an Active system the amp built in is design specifically for that speaker making it a perfect combination.

Then there is the debate over weight...passive speakers weigh less than active...but that is changing.

Overall for ease of use and simplicity i would suggest going with an Active System...its pretty much plug and play, and you have less chance of blowing your speakers.

As well in a performance enviroment...if you are using a passive system and your amp blows...you are screwed...with active systems if one of your speakers goes...you still have the other ones to play off of.
    Kontrol S4-Novation Launch Pad-MF Pro BM-Traktor Pro 2-KRKRP8/KRK10-Windows 7 64 Bit-Toshiba A660

I dont care if you use 2 ipads...2 cassette tapes...or a washboard and a wooden spoon...if you rock it, you rock it.

Thanks Gapout.

I was leaning towards active anyway and you just confirmed a few points I was thinking about.
    The weight on some of the Yamaha stuff is pretty close between their active and passive models, so that does seem to be a moot point. I couldn't care less about a few pounds difference anyway.

I don't really see myself expanding beyond two speakers any time soon. I would get a sub at some point but anything else would be totally excessive for my use. At that point I won't care if it costs me a bit extra anyway.

My main question is still concerning specific models to be looking at. Between the QSC K12 and the Yamaha DSR112 it kind of seems like comparing apples to a very mildly different variety of apples. Or, are there any other systems that are worth comparing that are perhaps cheaper?

Tech Convert

I have the entire Yamaha MSR series. I love them. I would advise against getting caught up in the hype. Start small, gig, and then build from there. Rarely do people care about the brand of speakers and monitors you gig with. QSC is a great brand. But $2000 per speaker?

Haha, yeah man. Deciding based on hype is the last thing I want to do.

That's $2000 for a pair. They're actually $900 each for either the Yamaha or QSC. Again, this is in Canada so I'm assuming pricing is a fair bit different than the US.

I do plan on starting small with just the pair of speakers. Where I don't want to go 'small' is on the quality though since I want something that will last for years.

Most of their is going to be in my living room on a daily basis so already they're going to be overkill for that but they will also be what I take to house parties which is the only reason I'm looking at PA's instead of Studio Monitors.

Good to hear you like your Yamahas.

RCF might be interesting if you want quality. The ART 312A are still on sale, I think about 950 us dollars a pair, or 322a buy it with an RCF sub, And you will have a good system. And don't get mislead by the watt output, these manufactures have all different ways to calculate that.

The JBL PRX series have some decent review.

Best thing to get a bit of insight is to google threads like qsc vs rcf etc...
    http://soundcloud.com/thom-b/
    2011-04-14-the-corners-of-my

KONTROL S8, 2x KONTROL D2, XONE DB4, traktor audio 10, kontrol x1, pioneer hdj 2000, software traktor scratch pro 2 & ableton suite 9

Tech Mentor

2000 bucks is a huge amount for a beginner setup and a bit overkill imo for 50 people lol.

I Did a house party of about 40 ppl with 2 KRK8s and a 10" Sub and was plenty loud.

IMO if you are going to spend 2k.

Cut back on the cost of your speakers and add a Sub.

Nothing will beat a sub for that low end sound...and if you are going to be doing house parties...nothing beats the bass
    Kontrol S4-Novation Launch Pad-MF Pro BM-Traktor Pro 2-KRKRP8/KRK10-Windows 7 64 Bit-Toshiba A660

I dont care if you use 2 ipads...2 cassette tapes...or a washboard and a wooden spoon...if you rock it, you rock it.

Tech Wizard

Agi Pro DJ has lots of vids on you tube where they compare speakers. People really seem to rate the sound quality of QSC very highly. I did a gig a while back and uses the QSC 12s. I was worried when i saw them as i thought they wouldn't be up to the job. I was blown away by there clarity and volume. I would not hesitate to reccomend them. You should head to you tube for some QSC vids & comparisons.
    Hear is a link to a good vid to watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XLuyfOnEUU
    Last edited by Percy; 01-03-2012 at 04:30 PM.
    2x Denon Dns 3700s, Korg Zero 4, NI x1, Macbookpro, KRK rocket 8s, KRK sub.