Electronic Artists that "perform" instead of "play" their tracks live?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Electronic Artists that "perform" instead of "play" their tracks live?

Electronic music is the oddball when it comes to live performances. Some producers stand behind a set of CDJs, while others do something with traktor/serato. But then there are the artists that really perform their songs live, mostly with Ableton, using clips and loops. Deadmau5 is the only artist that I know of that does this. Can you think of anyone else that "performs" their songs instead of playing them?

Thanks.
    Ableton Live 9, Traktor, VCI-400, APC40, QuNeo, Lemur iOS

Once upon a time, and still every now and again, Sasha.
    Cheers!
    | 13" rMBP | KORG ZERO4 | NOVATION TWITCH | 2 X CDJ-200 | KONTROL X1 |

There was a blog post on this a while ago...

But i found this: http://www.ableton.com/pages/artists/list

I'm not sure how many of them use it live, but i'm guessing quite a few.
    “Getting information off the Internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant." Mitchell Kapor
    Setup: TP2 - Vestax Typhoon - Korg NanoPad - Windows 7 x64 - Sony Vaio (Deceased) - Acer Aspire Timeline.
    House Parties - 2x12" Titan Audio PA's, 1xBehringer B1500D Sub

check out octave one live. Proper fucking live performance. And not a gimick or overly extravagant light show in sight. Just proper electronic music, played live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocjsJLfAG5M

I'm just going to go ahead and say I think a lot of ableton live clip launching performances are overrated and I would usually rather see a skilled DJ set. Example- I think deadmau5 live is pretty borring and come to think of it I haven't really seen an ableton set I was really impressed with. Felix Cartel was decent on ableton but he was DJing with it. I've noticed a lot of people I've seen on ableton seem more disconnected from the crowd and lack the stage presence of people who have significant DJ experience.

There are some people on ableton who really utilize it I would really like to see but I haven't had the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    I'm just going to go ahead and say I think a lot of ableton live clip launching performances are overrated and I would usually rather see a skilled DJ set. Example- I think deadmau5 live is pretty borring and come to think of it I haven't really seen an ableton set I was really impressed with. Felix Cartel was decent on ableton but he was DJing with it. I've noticed a lot of people I've seen on ableton seem more disconnected from the crowd and lack the stage presence of people who have significant DJ experience.

There are some people on ableton who really utilize it I would really like to see but I haven't had the chance.
    I know where your coming from. I'm in the process of dabbling with DJing with Ableton. If you make it too technical, you will fuck up, or be completely disconnected from the crowd. If your mixing on CDJs or w/e, someone else could easily take your place. Its a balancing act.
    Ableton Live 9, Traktor, VCI-400, APC40, QuNeo, Lemur iOS

Tech Guru

guti, richie hawtin (plastikman), guy gerber, theres ALOT of artists

check out top 20 live acts for 2011

http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?1420
    Last edited by Santos10; 01-02-2012 at 02:01 AM.
    Macbook Pro 13" | XONE 92 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Audio 8 | (2) NI Kontrol X1 | Technics SL-1210 MK2 | Juno 106 | Adam A7x | BOSS DD7 | Soundbite XL Looper | +more

soundcloud.com/kevinsantos @kevinsantosdj

Tech Mentor

No one mentions Daft Punk?

Quote Originally Posted by fanny butter View Post
    check out octave one live. Proper fucking live performance. And not a gimick or overly extravagant light show in sight. Just proper electronic music, played live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocjsJLfAG5M
    That's a really nice groove, and I love the way they just seem to be rocking out with the music rather than having the silly old Jesus pose-style "hey everybody look at me" stage prescence that is oh so common with electronic acts. But I wouldn't call that light show modest
    iŽll quote you in 5 years and we both will have a good laugh while we are at this awsome dj battle on mars trying to finally beat the damned 1000 armed alien squid "dj squid master". his routines are sick!

I think it really depends on the style of music you play. If you play a lot of minimal loop-based music where you like to have custom fx then it is definitely a cool idea to mess around with ableton and see what you can come up with.

But to be honest, if you're a top 40's/Hip Hop DJ even if you have your own tracks, it will always be two turntables and a mixer. When you make your own tracks for personal use - you set them up at DJ tools contained within one track. So you might have an acapella, an instrumental break to loop/transition and come into the new song, and then the main song, which you then can set cue points at and jump around depending on what you want to do. If you listen to DJ Flipside from Jump Smokers, it's exactly what he does. He usually has an an acapella to scratch with followed by the instrumental/intro into the main song. I think it's way more fun to do it this way, especially since you can cue point jump all over the place in any modern DJ software. It takes just as much work since you have to custom edit your tracks but you get just as much freedom and the feel of using two Turntables and a mixer as opposed to ableton, which is just...bleh... not my style.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast