Maschine - How useful?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Maschine - How useful?

I'm looking for a controller to aid production, don't want anything that pertains to DJing only.

Basically, my attempts at production have came to a grinding halt due to the slow and painful process of clicking and dragging etc. It takes far too long this way and feel that I'd be a lot more constructive with a physical tool that cuts out the mentioned grievances.

It doesn't have to be a Maschine product, but it strikes me as one of the leading products for this job. I'd like to be able to manipulate a production program with a tool that has everything laid out on it.

Do I have a terrible grasp of the technology, or does this seem like a viable option?

Who has one?

Does it help?
    CDJ800mk2 | DJM800 | CDJ800mk2

I find it extremely flexible. There are plenty of times I don't even use the controller. I like the software and how it's laid out. Never used it as just a live midi controller though. Not sure if you are looking to perform live with it.

Definately not live, at least not intended for that straight away.

I'm just looking for something that has all the control I need over production software.

The mouse/keyboard stuff dulls production down so much for me that I've never got 1/2 way through a song.

Tech Mentor

love maschine

Its worth it!
    Vst support and velocity pads make it a must for any studio IMHO.
    Software makes working in Cubase much more fun for me.

I've not heard a bad word yet, but I'm just not sure how much it helps. That's basically the info I need.

Could you technically create a fully-fledged track with a Maschine console and accompanying software only? I've seen it being used for drum loops etc, but I've not really seen it being employed for production all that much.

I suppose I'd have to play around with one to find out whether or not it works for me, but I'm willing to persevere with it.

If anyone has any videos or information that lead any owners to a conclusion, please do post. I really want to get back into production in the coming months.

Yes, with the inclusion of the VST support, you could say it is a mini DAW and you could easily build an entire track with no problems.

Tech Mentor

i dont understand the point of maschine. get an axiom mk2 or akai mpk49... you need KEYS for production and both of those controllers have drum pads, sliders, and knobs as well.
    Kontrol S4 | Novation Remote 25SL Mk.I | Macbook Pro | Shure SRH750DJ
    Soundcloud | Facebook | iTunes Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Wilde View Post
    i dont understand the point of maschine. get an axiom mk2 or akai mpk49... you need KEYS for production and both of those controllers have drum pads, sliders, and knobs as well.
    You don't buy Maschine to just use in midi mode like you would a midi keyboard, you buy it for the incredible beat making software, sample libraries, and step sequencing.

Any keyboard will work fine it's not one or the other.

Tech Student

Maschine has a Keyboard Pad Mode for playing different notes on the pads, some people who are intimidated by keyboards may appreciate that for making their grooves. I personally have both a Maschine and an Akai MPK49 and I love to use both in conjunction but I do find myself using only the Maschine quite often. I did however buy the MPK49 first, and owned it for over a year before I made the decision to add a Maschine. You can create full on songs with Maschine as well without any other plugins, you will find quite a variety of synth and bass sounds and all the effects you could ever dream of to personalize them.

The Maschine software is pretty sweet itself as well, allowing 8 groups with 16 sounds per group, and 16 different possible patterns per group. Once you have your patterns down it's split into "Scenes" where you decide what patterns from what groups are playing during that scene, it's very simple and completely controlled through the Maschine hardware or the software.

Personally I still run the Maschine software as a VST in Ableton where it can work the exact same as standalone but with all the extra goodies Ableton gives you. I went into buying my Maschine completely blind, and couldn't be more pleased with what the Maschine has added to my production.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast