Warping a track that changes time signatures

Default Warping a track that changes time signatures

I'm trying to warp a track that starts off(if i remember correctly) in 6/8 slow and half way goes into 3/4 then back into 6/8. I'd put the avg tempo at around 90 bpm. I want to get it to sound decent in 4/4 at around 175 - 180 dnb. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to do this before i go crazy from trial and error testing. The track is Sondheim - The Ballad of Sweeny Todd - Original Cast Recording. I don't know where my sheet music is for the show, so time signatures are from memory so they may not be accurate, but i do remember alot of signature changes from when i did the show many years ago. cheers

Tech Mentor

3/4 and 6/8 are the same thing surely*

When you say you want it to sound decent in 175-180 do you mean using 3 against 4 so each bar of 4/4 at 180 would be a complete bar of 6/3/3/4? If so you'll need to get the slower track to about 120 bpm ie 180 / 1.5

*well technically not, 6/8 is usually grouped (1)23 (2)23 xxxxxx. in quavers 3/4 would be 1x 2 x 3 x, but in terms of quavers per crotchet, if you know what i mean.

Can you please send this track to wastoid@gmail.com and ill take a look at it

Tech Guru

3/4 and 6/8 are the same thing surely*
    No, they are. 3/4 is the simple version, and 6/8 is the complex version of the same musical sound - beats arranged in triplets. The difference is that in a measure of 6/8 there are 2 downbeats per measure and in 3/4 there are 3. But in both, the musical idea of triplets is the reason those time signatures are used.

...6/3/3/4...
    WHAT? No sir. What are you trying to convey here, because that isn't a time signature. Even if you're trying to convey an additive time signature, it's not written correctly and makes no sense.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by nem0nic View Post
    No, they are. 3/4 is the simple version, and 6/8 is the complex version of the same musical sound - beats arranged in triplets. The difference is that in a measure of 6/8 there are 2 downbeats per measure and in 3/4 there are 3. But in both, the musical idea of triplets is the reason those time signatures are used.
    Well put - that's what i was trying to convey. For example - take i want to be in America - Alternating bars of compound <pedant>(not complex)</pedant> time - 6/8 and simple time - 3/4

6/8 I want to be in A 3/4 Mer-i-ca

The underlying crotchet pulse remains the same although the stresses (and thus percieved pulse) of the downbeats changes. Although they feel like triplets they're not usually written as such in 6/8 time. (ie with the 3 marker across the top).

WHAT? No sir. What are you trying to convey here, because that isn't a time signature. Even if you're trying to convey an additive time signature, it's not written correctly and makes no sense.
    That's a typo - 6/3 / 3/4 was meant to be "(6/8) / (or) (3/4)".

I'll paraphrase the sentence.

"When you say you want it to sound decent in 175-180 do you mean using 3 against 4 so each bar of 4/4 at 180 would be a complete bar of 6/3/3/4? If so you'll need to get the slower track to about 120 bpm ie 180 / 1.5"

translation into english:

If you want to have a single bar where the time span of a bar in 3/4 and a bar of 4/4 are the same duration, then you need to divide the tempo of the bar in 4/4 by 1.5 in order to get the destination tempo of the bar in 3/4 (6/8).

Rest of DJTT: (YAWN!)
    Last edited by cmcpress; 03-31-2009 at 09:34 AM.

Gah! I'm having flashbacks of undergrad. Thanks a bunch, I'll take a look again. And bento, i'll send it over in a bit. I just have a rehearsal CD right now so i gotta borrow the soundtrack from a buddy to do this. Cheers