Nervous for a gig!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Nervous for a gig!

Have a gig coming up, but I've never played in a club before. Just wondering how I could set up my stuff. I'm using a vci and a audio 4 DJ and possibly using my friends allen & heath xone 42 mixer.. since the club does not have its own (its a smaller lounge).

Do i need to pick up things like a surge protector etc?

Tech Mentor

You should bring a power bar and extra cords etc. just in case. If you're using a VCI you should bring a heavy towel or something to put it down on, to avoid the vibration problem (the vibrations from the bass can cause the platters to jitter). I'd also recommend adding little tape flags to all your cords so you know which is which in the dark, and with that in mind, a USB lamp or a flashlight is always useful!

when i had my short stint at the club, i always brought my own surge protector, extra rca cords, extra usb cables and thats about it.

but don't be like me and forget to bring ya laptop chord, that was great lol.
    www.myspace.com/djxsquizet
    my arsenal:
    2x vestax pdx, numark dxm09, m-audio x session pro, and ableton live 6.

I spin hip hop/electro/top 40

my 10minmix video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqAgSmaG4zM

Keep your head straight and keep yourself cool. And most important: HAVE FUN!!!!

make a checklist !!!

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Yeah, get a checklist. Make sure you have redundancy of almost everything in case something fails. Bring your own extension cord, your own power strip, your own cables, etc. etc. etc.. If you don't need to use them all the better.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Mentor

A couple drinks during your set is always helpful too to ease your nerves. I never believed in that until I tried it myself. I hardly get a buzz, just enough so I feel more at ease performing live.

Quote Originally Posted by miyuru View Post
    A couple drinks during your set is always helpful too to ease your nerves. I never believed in that until I tried it myself. I hardly get a buzz, just enough so I feel more at ease performing live.
    +1. Both before and during. Maybe the most important one for me (not kidding).

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by miyuru View Post
    Just be really careful with this. DJing will eventually become instinct for a lot of things and you'll be able to do it blind drunk. BUT, when you're starting, even the littlest buzz could ennd really poorly.

I usually encourage new DJs not to drink before their first gig in the club. If something goes wrong and you aren't aware it ends really poorly.

Just know your limits and above all, have fun.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Wizard

checked the club out yesterday.. Walked in definately a cool place probably holds about 150 ppl.. lots of booths and bottle service all that shit. IT was funny when we walked in there was a lingerie video shoot going on.. TONS AND I MEAN TONS OF TITS AND ASS!!!!

so we chilled out with the owner had a few drinks then soundchecked for about 15 minutes.. everything seemed to be cool. the only thing is one of the promoters was a fag.. kept telling me what type of music he wanted to hear.. I'm playing mainly electro, and house.. electro house all that fun stuff so hopefully the crowd will like it. He also told me I have to spin from 9 - 2.. and I dont have enough shit to do that.. we have a planned playlist of about 3 hours.. and originally we had to start from 10 - 2

so were thinking of throwing on a mixtape from 9 until 11.. (when people usually show up) then play our set from 11 - 2

you guys think this will be alright?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast