How to get gigs...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default How to get gigs...

Hey guys, lately I'm feeling ready to play infront of a crowd but I wonder what is the best way to go about finding work?
    I spin mostly techno/minimal/tech-house but all the clubs around here only play top-40, basically to hear some good techno I gotta go out of town so it's kind of difficult to get into the scene properly too and I don't want to play music I don't love. I hope any of you recognizes my problem, any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

First of all how long have you been playing? I have been told (by many people) that you should wait at least two years after starting before playing live. You also should practice standing up long sets (at least 3 hours). I all the clubs around play top40 then you will likely have to play top40 in the clubs. You can however do house parties and play whatever they want to hear. Or you can look into starting your own nights at the local clubs (I dont know much about this) and play you techo/ house stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by the4thImpulse View Post
    I have been told (by many people) that you should wait at least two years after starting before playing live.
    i disagree. if u got game, go for it.
    2013 Vancouver Red Bull Thre3style champ

FACEBOOK | TWITTER | SOUNDCLOUD | INSTAGRAM

Tech Wizard

I have to agree with Nick. I've only been DJing for 6 months, and while I haven't played in a club, the house parties that I've done (2 of them now) have been really enjoyable - for me and the guests. Go for it!

Tech Mentor

Only started mixing with hardware (cdj's) a couple of months ago, and TBH I've pretty much mastered phrasing and beat matching, I can put together a proper mix on the fly. I've been messing around with traktor (mouse/keyboard) for a year though.

I'm not going to play top-40 though, not to bash a style of music but it's just not my thing AT ALL

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Woah View Post
    Only started mixing with hardware (cdj's) a couple of months ago, and TBH I've pretty much mastered phrasing and beat matching, I can put together a proper mix on the fly. I've been messing around with traktor (mouse/keyboard) for a year though.

I'm not going to play top-40 though, not to bash a style of music but it's just not my thing AT ALL
    Not to be harsh.... but then your probably not gonna get a gig. Clubs want you to play what the people they are attracting enjoy. If it has any association with say a radio station that plays top40 no way your coming in and rocking techno.

Also i dont agree with the 2 years things.. all depends on talent and time you put in.. some guys r ready in 3 or 4 months some 3 or 4 years.. tbh the crowd rarely notices subtle differences between a good dj and a bad one especially if theyre drinking.. from personal house parties etc i've heard some people saying "oh ya hes good" when the DJ was absolutely HORRID no mixing no beat matching keys r completely off.... just literally switching crossfader + adding effects that sounded terribad.

my advice... give the club what they want if you perform well the first couple times you might be able to bring up a "techno night" and have some success! be ready for market / promote the night yourself though!

Tech Wizard

You'll be surprised at the reaction you can get playing EDM at parties. I did a "leaving party" for about 80 teenagers (14 to 16) and played progressive house most of the night and they loved it.

Tech Mentor

Yes it's a shame, the "dj's" around here are arrogant assholes claiming to be the next avicii when they can't even beatmatch.

They just fade one track (SURPRISE! usually levels by avicii!) into another. I've heard the same set every weekend for months now... hehe.

And yeah that's a real shame... I think I'll try my luck elsewhere. Luckily the scene is huge just outside of town. It'll be harder to get into but it's worth it.

I would say your ready then, you are confident in your skills which will help immensely. You should start with house parties or even just a bunch of friends at your to play in front of. For some its a whole diffrent world when playing if front of people, they get really nervous and time seems to speed up real fast. It will be tough to play the music you the dj wants to play. I cant help you there.

Tech Mentor

It's not like that... there IS a place for my music, I can travel half an hour by train and I'm in Amsterdam... 15+ clubs that play techno. The problem is outside my hometown it's way harder to get any proper connects you know, the most important part in getting a gig.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast