Pardon My Ignorance: CDJ vs. MIDI
    Tech Wizard

Default Pardon My Ignorance: CDJ vs. MIDI

Pardon my ignorance but I have been wondering this for a little while and I haven't been able to find an answer to my question. What are the major differences between a CDJ and a MIDI controller like the Traktor Kontrol for example? Do they have very different uses/advantages, and why does it seem like most big name performers use CDJs? If I'm totally wrong don't hesitate to tell me so, this is just what I've grasped from my short exposure to DJ'ing. Thanks for any help with this subject!

Very simply put: CDJ's (and turntable's) play CD's (or records) and have nothing to do with a computer (there are exceptions) and MIDI Controllers only control various computer software applications (they have nothing to do with CDs or Records).

CDJ's and turntables a generally much more reliable then Computers so more dj's use them. Its also what they have been using for many years as opposed to MIDI Controllers which are a very new technology.

CDJs play media directly via CD or USB.

It's a lot easier for a lot of DJs to show up in a venue with a pair of headphones around their neck and a flash drive in their pocket and play an entire set than to set up a laptop, soundcard, controllers, cables, laptop stand, have to change out equipment, and have more things to go wrong.

Tech Wizard

Ohh, alright, that actually clears up a lot, thanks guys!