Mac, PC or Linux ? - Page 2

View Poll Results: Which OS are you using to mix?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mac

29 50.88%
  • Windows

28 49.12%
  • Linux

1 1.75%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Without instigating a war, I must address the following...

I just read that Microsoft is phasing out Windows XP by or before 2009. But this is only for Windows XP Home Edition.
    Microsoft is EXTENDING support for XP Home until into 2010, NOT phasing it out. It looks like XP will be around until Windows7 comes out. You can read about it here...

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...t-laptops.html

Also, the reason to use a PC isn't just because you can't afford a Mac. Many people (myself included) are power users, and find both the Apple OS and hardware limiting. I find Apple hardware particularly frustrating, because much of it is lackluster and not upgradable. Yes, a closed system is stable, but no more stable than a well maintained Windows system. And before you say it, no, you do NOT have to spend any extra time maintaining your Windows system (the Apple "just works" argument).

OSX has a great "off the shelf" experience. And for many users it's the logical choice. But for more advanced users, system builders, and modders, Apple is a poor choice.

No wars or hostilities here. Thanks for setting the Win XP Home info straight. But I think the main thing here is, people just want to get to the gig, set up, and rock the house. OSX or XP will both do it for you.

I agree with you totally, if you are an advanced user, system builder, or want to mod the hell out of a computer(overclocking, mem upgrades, audio, video setups, etc.), stay away from a Mac. It's not the right system for that stuff. But, if you want to boot up lightning fast and get to mixing your latest mp3, get a MacBook Pro.

i run windows XP,vista:eek:is a horror.

Tech Guru

But, if you want to boot up lightning fast and get to mixing your latest mp3, get a MacBook Pro.
    Apple doesn't have a lock on fast boot times. In XP, 25-30 second boot times are easy to obtain, as are 15 -20 second shut down times. I dont get anywhere near that kind of performance on the Power Macs at work (C2D based running ProTools). My lean and mean Hackintosh boots up in about 40 seconds (running Leopard 10.5.2), but I only have stock apps on it (I built it to learn Apple Script and OSX tweaking). My XP laptop hovers around that speed as well, and it's loading several interface drivers and GUI mods (including Rocket Dock).

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

I use Vista currently for Ableton & Traktor and seem to be one of the lucky few not experiencing any major issues, but when I piped Traktor through Abelton after following BentoSans sic tutorial shit went pear-shaped even with all buffers maxed out so I'm now thinking about regressing to XP.
    I would totally hit a mac as soon as I can justify the expense though.
    @Mike Damien
    I know time fly's these days but its not 2011 yet lol...

Here is where I got the 2009 info.
    http://www.computerworld.com/action/...icleId=9075062
    Maybe "phasing out" wasn't the best way to describe it, how about, Microsoft won't sell XP Home anymore on High end systems. XP Home will only be available on ULCPC laptops(ULCPC=Ultra Low Cost PC),till 2010 or 1 year after Win7 appears. ULCPC laptops will sell from $400 and under.

Bottom line, the peeps on the dance floor or lounge don't give a wOOt about your OS. Just play good music, pray your setup doesn't crash or lose power, and everyone will keep on having a good time. (I'm sure I'll get crap for this post from someone, lol)
    Last edited by Mike Damien; 04-06-2008 at 06:02 AM.

Tech Mentor

Mac all the way its a lot more money but I think the reliability is well worth it plus mac just makes powerful machines so for sure your music software will run.
    Thank Ya!!!

Tech Guru

It may sound completely superficial.. and totally is... but I dont care. My MacBook Pro is way prettier then any PC laptop ;D

On another note I love the OSX interface. As a creative, graphic design and music wise, the interface and seamless intergration of awesome features makes it straight up nicer to use. Relyability is another pro but like stated before XP can be relyable its just more of a bitch to keep it that way then OSX.

Anyway, the best thing about mac these days is that they run XP just as well as a PC. Bootcamp ftw. So in buying a mac you get the best of both worlds.

Linux and DJ software...that's like a niche inside a niche.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Wright View Post
    Linux and DJ software...that's like a niche inside a niche.
    Any Linux distro with mixxx.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast