Mac, PC or Linux ?

View Poll Results: Which OS are you using to mix?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mac

29 50.88%
  • Windows

28 49.12%
  • Linux

1 1.75%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Mac, PC or Linux ?

Which OS are you using to mix ?

Default Windows

Windows, I love the broad VST support.

Using windows mainly because I can't afford another system at the moment. I've been dipping into music software for over a year now and i've always found windows accommodating to my needs.

At the same time, if the day comes where I can afford a Mac, I may consider it.
    17" MacBook Pro, 2.66 GHz i7, 4GB RAM; Vestax VCI-100, NI Audio Kontrol 1/ MBox Mini, M-Audio Oxygen 8, Beyerdynamic DT-150 cans; Pro Tools LE 8, Ableton Live 8, Logic Studio 9, Traktor Pro

Mac all the way, its just so reliable and quick!

Tech Wizard

Nowadays windows XP but maybe with June bonus pay and the fact that June in I will have 50% credits of the degree.. I will give myself a macbook

Tech Guru

Windows XP is my bitch. I can make it do anything I want. No problems at all with stability, and no funky USB issues to deal with.

Usually any platform able to run Ableton or mixxx.
    Due to Ableton this is set back to Windows(XP) mostly or less frequent Mac.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Mac 8 53.33%
    Windows 8 53.33%
    Linux 0 0%
    What's With The Percentages? LOL
    17" MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz C2D | MacOS 10.6.2 (Snow Leopard)
    Traktor 1.2.4 | VCI-100SE v3.4
    Korg Zero8 | NI Audio8 DJ | Akai APC40 | KRK V8 Mk2 | Sony MDR-7506
    Novation Remote SL25MkII | Kore2 | Komplete6 | Virus TI
    Ableton Live8 (Suite) | Logic9 | Reason4 | Audio Hijack Pro

Here's the answer to my own question...
    I use a Macbook and I just love it ! Beautiful, usefull, boots so fast, never crashes, so many little details that make life simplier, great for music, for mixing, for school...light and portable, can be used anywhere...Well I can say I'm in love with my Macbook !

You can not go wrong with a Mac, especially the new 10.5 Leopard OS. The Mac boot up time is beyond fast and a stable OS to run whatever you can throw at it. The only drawback on a Mac is for the pirates and bit torrent freaks out there (you know who you are). Not to many up to date programs for Mac are available for download. Let's say just for chuckles, Ableton 7 for Mac isn't available yet(to the hackers and crackers hint hint). Ehemm..however Ableton 6 is floating around(btw,Traktor 3.3 is available to).

If you use PC, run it with Windows XP Pro and stay the hell away from Vista. Vista is a horrible OS and slow as hell on boot up. Even on duo core processor systems, using Vista is slow, and running music/dj software is limited. I just read that Microsoft is phasing out Windows XP by or before 2009. But this is only for Windows XP Home Edition. Microsoft can not phase out Windows XP Pro because too many software development companies use it. I should know, I was in the video game development biz and all the companies run Windows XP Pro. Vista has far too many bugs to fix for any software company to rely on it as their main OS. Also another known fact is the upgrade OS for Vista is Windows XP Pro. So lets say you get a new laptop running Vista, rip it out and install a fresh copy of Windows XP Pro. It's not really a step backward in OS terms(even though XP has been around for more than 10 years).

So there you have it, if you can only afford a PC, run WinXP Pro and it won't let you down. But, if you can spend the extra bucks, buy a Mac for speed and reliability.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast