High Definition Midi Protocol

Default High Definition Midi Protocol

Hey guys,

If you are anything like me you are dieing for higher resolution midi messages. In January the midi manufactures association released this article -

January, 2008

For the third year in a row, dozens of MIDI hardware and software manufacturers gathered at the Marriott in Anaheim CA, in conjunction with the Winter NAMM Show, to plan a new High Definition protocol for musical instruments.

"MIDI has worked fantastically for more than 25 years, but with today's computers and embedded microprocessors we can now do much more than MIDI was originally designed to do", said MMA President and CEO Tom White. "This new protocol will encourage market growth through more expressive products, improved ease of use, and new and innovative applications. Plus new HD devices and software will be compatible with all of the great MIDI hardware and software that already exists."

This proposed update increases the number of MIDI Channels and Controllers, and provides greater resolution in data values for all of the current MIDI 1.0 messages. Moreover, the HD functions are all accomplished with single messages, as opposed to compound messages in MIDI 1.0, which means using and editing the new messages will be far easier for both developers and users. The HD protocol also supports the creation of entirely new messages that were not practical with the MIDI 1.0 protocol.

"At this point HD-MIDI is still under development, but we've seen a lot of interest in this from both hardware and software developers," said White. "Our policy is not to discuss MMA Specifications publicly until they're officially adopted, but in this case we want to make sure that all qualified companies have the opportunity to participate before the first version is published later this year.

The original MIDI 1.0 Specification, developed in 1983, has been the foundation for interoperability of digital musical instruments for 25 years. The initial "MIDI 1.0 Specification" contained the rules for remote control of keyboard devices, but over the years additional specifications were developed for file exchange, sound exchange, synthesizer design, and new applications such as stage lighting and ring-tones. Today the term "MIDI" applies to the wide variety of file formats, applications, and device specifications defined by the MIDI Manufacturers Association.

The MIDI Manufacturers Association is an industry non-profit organization that is responsible for maintaining and extending MIDI. Formed in 1985 by the original developers of the MIDI 1.0 Specification, the MMA provides a forum where companies using MIDI can cooperate and collaborate to make their equipment interoperable. More information is available at http://www.midi.org/.

Companies that are interested in participating in the development of the new HD Protocol should contact the MMA (see the contact form on this site.)
    - http://www.midi.org/news/hdmidi.php

This might be old news as i am sure many of you know that manufactures are have been working to improve the resolution of their messages - take the VCI-300 for example. However i think it is important to note for those of you who did not realize that an open industry standard is being worked on and due for release later this year.

I am actually considering holding out on buying any more midi devices until i can get my hands on HD midi devices, as standard 0-127 can be severely limiting when your trying to make super fine adjustments and/or splitting a midi knob up into multiple effects/parameters (think Smart-Knobs).
    Last edited by BentoSan; 06-14-2008 at 06:26 AM.

Tech Guru

niiceeee

might wait out to buy new controllers . hmmmZ

Tech Mentor

I'm hoping that we'll be able to flash our VCI-100s to work with HD MIDI! I'm sure someone will come up with the fix.

What sucks is, I'm sure there'll be a price-hike at first for HD MIDI

Farking hell, want to have an update on my BCR2000 as well.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

I am not sure if manufactures will update their devices, maybe some will but i think alot of people will be missing out until they buy new controllers.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Most likely, if places to decide to allow firmware upgrades, then you are going to need to pay a hefty cost and ship it out. That would be my guess. They would make it more convenient to purchase a new controller that is built to handle HD MIDI (by the way, why is everything high definition? Why can't it be S-MIDI (Super MIDI) or MIDI 2.0 or something?).
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Well units without a USB connection i highly highly doubt will see upgrades, only devices with USB connections that allow firmware updates over USB will stand a chance of seeing these firmware updates i think.

w00t!

BCR2000 also comes with community built firmware.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --