song selection importance?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default song selection importance?

i wise man once told good DJing is about %90 song selection %10 mixing
    this would only be relevant to vinyl mixing and the guy came from an oldschool funk background.

does anyone have any thoughts on this? i see that as the past but i wonder if this philosophy could be applied to controllerism?
    Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Kaon, none of that has to do with drum and bass.

Tech Guru

I feel like now that people are mixing more than two decks and using loops to do complex stuff that the balance has shifted somewhat. But it is still good song selection mostly.
    FIX8:OSCill8
    My Rig: Macbook 13" (2.16ghz 4gb crucial ram), VCI-100 custom paint, Korg Nanopad, Axiom 25, DJIO

ya i agree too. you could be the most skilled mixer in the world but if youre gonna play nursury rhymes you aint got shit

its ALL about the song selection
    most punters dont give a shit about mixing (bar other DJ's and EDM fiends)

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Also depends on the genre.

care to elaborate karlos?

Music selection is very important, but I say it just as important that you have some solid mixing skills why? Well if you playing killer tracks all night, but do know where the cut or break is at you going to miss your cue and have basslines on top of each other or two singers mashing all nasty.

Now there is music that dj's are not allowed to mix, I've seen in the Rockabilly scene dj's just hit play on the cd & cue up the next track and go back an forth between songs, no real beatmatching.

When you have a solid playlist of tracks & the mixing is spot on, it just adds a little extra something to the dancefloor...its like you connect to your crowd.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Quote Originally Posted by JesC View Post
    Music selection is very important, but I say it just as important that you have some solid mixing skills why? Well if you playing killer tracks all night, but do know where the cut or break is at you going to miss your cue and have basslines on top of each other or two singers mashing all nasty.

Now there is music that dj's are not allowed to mix, I've seen in the Rockabilly scene dj's just hit play on the cd & cue up the next track and go back an forth between songs, no real beatmatching.

When you have a solid playlist of tracks & the mixing is spot on, it just adds a little extra something to the dancefloor...its like you connect to your crowd.
    how much does it add ? 10% extra? or do you think it more significant?

IMO its a 50/50, ive been dj-ing for sometime now, and I have develop a pattern or style of mixing, whenever people hear me live, they get hooked and they follow where ever I play at. I really dont want to sound all snobish, but you can ask anyone on this forum that has hear me live.

To me you have to have the balance right, music & mixing. You have to know who you are dj-ing for. If your in a club, people want to dance, non stop, all night...and when you are performing or showcasing, its more about tricks, fx, loops and what not, cuz people are there to see your skills in the world of controllerism.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Quote Originally Posted by JesC View Post
    IMO its a 50/50, ive been dj-ing for sometime now, and I have develop a pattern or style of mixing, whenever people hear me live, they get hooked and they follow where ever I play at. I really dont want to sound all snobish, but you can ask anyone on this forum that has hear me live.

To me you have to have the balance right, music & mixing. You have to know who you are dj-ing for. If your in a club, people want to dance, non stop, all night...and when you are performing or showcasing, its more about tricks, fx, loops and what not, cuz people are there to see your skills in the world of controllerism.
    i guess that makes it rather situational

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast