Top ten things you should never say to a DJ: (add your own things also)
1. PLAY SOMETHING GOOD...SOMETHING WE CAN DANCE TO !
The DJ has to play for more than one person...so what you hate may be another's favorite song and EVERYTHING played here can be danced to one way or another.
2. WOULD YOU PLAY SOMETHING WITH A "BEAT" !
BE SERIOUS! We know of NO songs played in a club that don't have some sort of BEAT!
3. I DON'T KNOW WHO SINGS IT AND I DON'T KNOW THE NAME OF THE SONG, BUT IT GOES LIKE THIS....
PLEASE don't sing for the DJ. They have to put up with smoke filled rooms and dangerous decibel levels all night long...Do them a favor and DON'T give them a rendition of your favorite song.
4. EVERYBODY WANTS TO HEAR IT !
Oh, sure... you polled everyone in the club and, as their spokesperson, you're requesting the song.
5. EVERYBODY WILL DANCE IF YOU PLAY IT !
The DJ won't. I guess that blows a hole in that theory!
6. I CAN GET LAID IF YOU PLAY IT !
Why settle for one night? Buy the album and get laid for a whole month!
7. I WANT TO HEAR IT NEXT !
The ONLY people who can get away with that statement write the DJ's paycheck!
8. WHAT DO YOU HAVE ?
It's a lot easier for you to go have another beer and figure out what you want to hear than it is for the DJ to recite the name of every record in the booth!
9. HEY, MAN, NOBODY CAN DANCE TO THIS !
It's NOT advisable to say this when the dance floor is packed (but some people do anyway) ! HOWEVER, even if there is only ONE person on the floor, it STILL contradicts the statement!
10. PLAY IT SOON, BECAUSE WE'RE LEAVING !
If your gonna leave after he plays it, why shouldn't he wait till the very last song so you stay all night!
SOME ASSORTED THINGS NOT TO SAY TO A DJ:
1. If you ask for a song and the DJ says he just played it, DON’T SAY "Well I just got here." It makes absolutely no difference.
2. DON’T SAY "Is this the only music you play?" If you go to a Chinese restaurant, you wouldn’t ask for Italian food.
3. If you ask for a song...BE SPECIFIC. DON’T SAY "I wanna hear something....anything but this!" Try going to the bar and saying,
"I wanna drink something....anything but this..." You can’t complain if you're not SPECIFIC.
4. HOWEVER, if you are specific and the DJ says he doesn’t have that song, DON’T SAY "What!?!? What do you mean you don’t have it? what kind of DJ are you? HE MAY SHOOT YOU!!!!!
5. SPECIAL NOTE! A night club DJ gets very little RESPECT. They are expected to play everything for everybody. It is impossible to satisfy all of the people all of the time, yet club DJs are expected to do just that. If a radio DJ tells his listeners a song is a hit, the majority of the people figure it must be "Because they say so on the radio." However 80% of the time that same song was being played in a club long before radio DISCOVERED the NEW song.
So give the DJ a break! The next time you request a song, stop and THINK before you speak.
And above all....if the DJ has one hand on the mixing board, one hand on the turntable, and the headphones on....Don’t bug him