DJ Payment Etiquette For New City????
    Tech Guru

Default DJ Payment Etiquette For New City????

Hey guys I just wanted to get your input on something that I can't figure out at the moment. I've recently relocated to a new city and have my first gig here coming up very soon. The thing is that the minor detail of PAYMENT has been ignored by the promoter and I caught wind that he doesn't plan on paying me as I will be one of the "opening" acts.
    Now my problem is I'm not sure if I should demand being payed and risk a very good opportunity for exposure, or just go with the flow. On the one hand I've been playing out professionaly(gettin payed) for the last 2 years in another city, but on the other hand this will be my first show in this new city/scene and I'm not sure if it's worth burning bridges over what would be a farely small paycheque anyway....

what would you guys do?

If it was a first show then id do it for free just to show that you can mix and how well you do it, you dont want to run the risk of losing the gig because your asking for cash - then put your hand out for money for any future gigs. Be front up with the guy, tell him that your doing it this time for free but if he wants to use you in the future you need to be reimbursed.

Good luck

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

First, for the future, you should ALWAYS secure that information before any agreement is made. Never assume, ever.

Don't demand it. I'd say play the gig. If he doesn't pay you sit down with him after and explain your situation. If he says he won't pay you then I'd say something to the effect of "With all due respect, that is not acceptable to me. Have a good day" and never spin for him again unless payment is assured. If you sell yourself short you'll have to fight to get paid again.

If the exposure is worth it, though, then I'd run with it for a few gigs, get contact numbers for bigger gigs that give you money.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Do the gig, rock the house, and if the promoter likes you, sit down and work out $$$ for the future gigs.

Do you have a portfolio of the gigs you have played at in the past? I usually keep the flyers of every event that I play at. I would upload them to flickr or something so the promoters can see the events that you played at. So they dont think ur still wet behind the ears.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Guru

alright, k thanks guys i appreciate your input that gives me something to go by. I think what I'm going to do is bring it up with him before the show to see what he says, but i won't demand payment outright and still do the show under condition that all future events will be compensated for.

thanks again fellas.

Tech Wizard

i would demand payment...you're doing an job aren't you? how much is it worth? nothing? next time you will have a hard time demanding and decent payment for your DJ'ing...

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Olafmol, I agree to an extent. But the issue is he's already agreed to the gig without the agreement of money. This whole thing we do is just as much about reputation as anything else, so the last thing duerr is going to want to do is ruin that rep by backing out of a gig right away.

Duerr, I would talk to him the event is over. If you talk about it before it could come off as last minute desperation, or something of the sort. Beyond bringing it up as "We didn't discuss money, so I just wanted to know if there was some sort of set agreement you have with the DJs." which I think would be appropriate.

But do the gig, see how the crowd responds and what they do, and if you kill it (which I'm sure you will) then the next day or two approach him with a deal.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

NYC is a tough city for djs- there are a lot and they play for very little. So i would say:

if you never plan on working with him again, get payment worked out in advance (not just before or after committing to playing

If you want to get your foot in the door and play again- rock it and then explain you never play for less than...