NDX900/DDM4000/TP2 Question
    Tech Mentor

Default NDX900/DDM4000/TP2 Question

Okay guys, so I feel that I'm outgrowing my NDX400 CD players after about 6 months and 4-5 gigs at house parties, and would like to begin implementing a digital setup, mainly to fully utilize the looping and sample deck features. I still want to have access to doing mixes manually in case my laptop dies (I hate the idea of relying solely on a computer), so I still need CD players. The setup I'd like to run looks like this:

Channel 1&2 go from the NDX900s into TP2 via USB/MIDI then into Channel 1&2 on the DDM4000

Channel 3&4 go from the NDX900s straight into the DDM4000.

The NDX900 has a USB connection and RCA outs, and it would simply involve me flicking a switch to go from MIDI mode into CD mode (or in my case, USB drive mode, as I've been using flash drives with my NDX400s). I read on a NI thread that someone said I would need a separate soundcard in order to hear the tracks in TP2, is this true? Or do I have it pretty figured out?

I really like the idea of this setup, as the ability to mix manually and use a program at the same time is very important to me, so any help/ideas you guys have would be greatly appreciated.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

www.mixcloud.com/sunshineraleigh

So...
    The most important q you forgot to mention is are you using Mac or PC?
    You are going to need two separete outputs from Traktor, either to use them as separete chanel outputs or one for master and second for headphones. NDX900 has built in sound card, meaning that two of those have two sound outputs. Problem is that in mac you can use both sound cards at the same time, but in Windows it requires ASIO4ALL drivers which can cause greater latency and general instability.
    Can you set on ddm4000 two chanels to be in midi mode and other two in analogue mode, or it has to be all midi or all analogue?
    Fujitsu Siemens Amilo pa3553, Behringer djx750, Denon dns1200, Numark ndx800, Akai lpd8, Denon hp500, Audio 2 dj

Tech Mentor

Well lucky for me then that I'm running an '07 black MacBook The DDM4000 lets you split which channels are MIDI and which are analogue, quite a nifty feature, and one of the main selling points for me when I got it.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

Gr8! I would map all 4 channels on ddm4000 in midi mode to 4 channels of Traktor, using one players output as master and second for headphones (internal mixing mode in Traktor), and just in case of laptop failure have cables pluged from players to two channels of mixer and in that case switch all to analogue.
    Fujitsu Siemens Amilo pa3553, Behringer djx750, Denon dns1200, Numark ndx800, Akai lpd8, Denon hp500, Audio 2 dj

Tech Mentor

Awesome! So does this mean I'm going to need a 2.1 or higher soundcard to go from my computer to the DDM? Just trying to get a budget ready.

On mac you have aggregate device option, which will make one 2 channel card out of two that are in players.
    Anyway, first thing I bought was my audio2dj, I love it and probably will never sell it. It gives you more versatility. Most of the gigs I get now days are in the clubs that have their own equipment, so I take with me my laptop, controller and audio2dj since there are players in club already.

Tech Mentor

I may be a little late but i just saw this thread, I own a DDM4000 and an NDX800 which is the same as the 900 without the soundcard and I use a Xone DX as my controller. If you have a pair of NDX900s, Traktor will recognize the soundcards together as 1 so you can USB them both to your computer. But I wouldn't use internal mode, there really is no need to because you have the soundcards and a mixer. I would use Traktor in external mode which means you are using the soundcards to pass the audio right into the mixer and you could use the mixer just like you would a regular mixer. The only thing is you won't have any midi control of the EQ or the gain within Traktor. But at least you can have 2 channels for Traktor and 2 other channels for the cd/USB drive audio. If you use internal mode you will have a problem with the headphones because the entire channel vertically would be midi so the PFL button on the DDM4000 will cue the headphones within Traktor but you have no way of listening to the headphones plugged into the DDM4000. This is a known issue for a long time because there is no input to plug into for the headphones. The only way it can work in internal mode is if deck A & B were going out of 1 NDX900 to say channel 1 in midi mode on the DDM4000. The audio would still pass through the DDM4000 through channel 1 and you could also midi channel 2 and use the DDM4000 channel 1 and 2 to control Traktor EQ, gain, volume, but the audio is only going through channel 1. Then you would have to use the other NDX9000 for the headphones coming out to lets say analog channel 3 on the DDM4000. So if you keep the PFL on channel 3 pushed, you are hearing the audio coming out of the cue in Traktor, so when you pushed the PFL buttons on channel 1 and 2 they would work because they are midi for traktor. Now you are giving up a channel just for headphones, that would suck. So yes the DDM4000 can control midi and pass through audio but has no way for the headphones. So your best bet is external mode in Traktor and you can have 2 channels for decks and 2 channels for analog audio.

I use my Xone DX soundcard which has 10 channels in, 10 channels out in external mode. Decks A & B go to channels 1 & 2 of the DDM 4000. Decks C & D as sample decks both go to channel 3 and channel 4 is for the the NDX800 cd/USB drive analog audio. I have the Xone DX for most of my midi control but I have the xfader and sample section of the DDM4000 mapped for midi controls as well. I use the xfader EQ buttons to control loop size and set and I use the sample section buttons as play buttons for the sample decks.
    Last edited by dj matt blaze; 02-06-2012 at 03:39 AM.

Tech Mentor

Advanced apologies for the thread derail....

@ DJ Sunshine ~ Just curious how you enjoy your dnx900's???

I am in need of upgrading my cdj-200's and those are in the market. I am used to Pioneer products and the cdj-350's are in my price range but so expensive, however the physical dimension fit my road case.

@ DJ Matt Blaze ~ how do you enjoy the Xone DX?

They are dirt cheap right now, and it is a fantastic unit, but what limitations are you finding if any with it? With the current S2 price drop it is tough to not thinking of investing in TP2 ready controller, but I have a special place in the heart for the DX.
    Xone DX, SE-DJ5000, Itch
    http://soundcloud.com/eizhauz

Tech Mentor

I love the Xone DX. There is no way you can even compare the S2 to the DX. The DX is definitely way above the S2, 20 channel soundcard, 4 deck control. My 1 and only gripe about the DX is no slider for the pitch control, its got a knob which really isn't all that bad and since I use Traktor in external mode I don't use the channel faders on the DX so I mapped the 2 outside faders to control the pitch for Decks A & B. It works perfectly with Traktor too even though it's officially an ITCH controller. I have tried to use ITCH a few times but I don't like it at all, the wavs are too small, the effects suck and are complicated to use, I just think Traktor Pro is just sooo much better. I heard that A&H were originally building the DX for Traktor but for whatever reason, it didn't work out so they made it for ITCH but except for that big ITCH sticker in the middle you wouldn't know its not made specifically for Traktor. I love it.

I also have a NDX800 midi controlled to Traktor that I use to scratch, since you can't scratch on the jogs of the DX, which works pretty good and I don't need timecode because the platter is touch sensitive. But for me being old school and coming from vinyl, scratching on a non moving platter sucks and there is no viable marker on the NDX800 to show where you are, even if you mark the top, it still doesn't rotate like a moving platter so there is some slippage so you have to watch the marker on the wav which I hate so I am thinking about upgrading to Traktor scratch and either getting 1200s or the Denon DNS3700 for the spinning platters.

Tech Mentor

@DJ Matt Blaze ~ Check your Inbox... PM'ing you more questions on DX shortly
    Xone DX, SE-DJ5000, Itch
    http://soundcloud.com/eizhauz